Subject: Re: [kmip] Groups - Locate with Offset uploaded

On 15/05/2014 11:25 AM, John Leiseboer wrote:

11.10 Locate (error handling) should be updated as well for the case where the specified offset is greater than the object count. Either the existing ‘Operation Failed’/’Invalid Field’ should be reused with the definition updated, or a new Result Reason (‘Offset exceeds object count’) should be specified.

That raises the whole nothing-to-return is it an error or not issue - in that is this returning a set and in which case an empty list is a good indication that the criteria wasn't matched or the count was beyond what was available. We already previously discussed that at the face to face that returning an empty list is the defined behaviour - having no results is not an error condition.

If you view the offset should be range checked and return an error then what should the return be if the Maximum Items specified is 0?
That isn't currently specified as an error either (nor should it be in my view).

The proposal also does not return the available count - which would be good to see (and we currently include in our vendor extension which handles the equivalent concept of an offset) - but just allows specification of the offset.

The equivalent SQL offset + limit handling certainly does not consider specifying an offset beyond the result set as an error nor does it consider a limit of 0 to be an error and simply sees those items as handling the sub-setting of the result set including generating an empty result set if processing either the limit or the offset results in there being no results. The discussions previously seemed settled on the Locate operation being very much the "select" for objects.

Thanks,
Tim.