Subject: RE: [kmip] Groups - Import Export Operation uploaded

Hi Anthony,

I’ll be in the air during today’s KMIP call so I won’t be able to attend. If this topic is discussed on the call here are some initial thoughts I have on what needs to be addressed:

Attributes defined as vendor extensions

  Drop? Error? Other?

Links

  How to handle links to UIDs that don't exist

    Should links be allowed to point to non-existent objects?

    Should all objects be imported first, and then Add Attribute used?

Incompatible UID format

  For example, UID vs URN vs ...

  What if a server cannot handle the format of the UID provided in the import?

  What if the UID in a link attribute is in a format that the server cannot handle?

  Should there be a means for translating the input UID into a format handled by the server

    Add a new multi-valued attribute, "Original UID"?

UID clash

  This is possible as currently the UID is only required to be unique within a single KM server

Traceability

  For some customers it is important to be able to trace back to the source of the object

  A new attribute, "Imported From"?

    From what?

Wrapped object value

  Is this fundamentally different to link?

  Are wrapped objects unwrapped during export, or not?

Regards,

John