Subject: Candidates for deprecation?

Judy,

As I was reading through the Usage Guide (https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/kmip/download.php/70226/kmip-ug-v3.0-wd01(Markup).docx), I ran across section 3.13.2, Triple-DES Key Encoding. That section seems like its shelf life may have expired, made me wonder what other sections should be considered for pruning/deprecation as well (Triple-DES is “deprecated” through 2023 and disallowed after that, according to https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-131Ar2.pdf).

Might be a standing rule, that we examine our publications for obsolescence each release. Or something less formal, just so it gets considered.

In any case, Appendix B of SP800-67 no longer contains the test vectors that are referenced in our Usage Guide, so if we’re going to continue to talk about Triple-DES, we will need some updated information.

Bruce Rich