legalcite-markup-discuss message

Subject: Annotation of inline citations

Greetings!

Another question that occurred to me this morning, when writing about
the opaqueness of visible text, how citations are annotated is going
to make a real difference in the viability of the work product.

There may be other choices but the three I see are:

1) Inline annotation of the opaque text strings that are citations
where the metadata for each citation is also included with the
annotation.

2) Inline annotation of the opaque text strings that are citations
with a unique identifier that can be resolved to a resource outside
the document which holds all the metadata.

3) Pointing to the opaque text strings that are citations from an
outside resource that holds the metadata about the citation. (May well
display "inline" but that's an inclusion/display issue.)

I ask because with #1, if a citation occurs multiple times in a single
text (or with different opaque strings for the same citation), will
the metadata be replicated for each occurrence?

I suppose one way to avoid that issue would be to point back to the
first occurrence.

Although, inline metadata will raise the issue of how metadata is
updated and distributed, since electronic copies of legal materials
may reside in diverse locations.

I ask because in terms of the charter, I would be very interested in a
TC that plans to pursue #2 or #3, not so hot on a TC looking to do #1.

Please respond on list.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick
- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau