legalcitem message

Subject: Minutes of LegalCiteM TC meeting 16 April 2014

Attending:

Daniel Bennett, Individual (voting member)
Frank Bennett, Japan Legal Information Institute (voting member)
Joan Cochet, National Center for State Courts (voting member)
Chet Ensign, OASIS (voting member)
Gary Graham, Arizona Supreme Court (voting member)
Jim Harris, National Center for State Courts (voting member)
Ken Hirsh, American Association of Law Libraries (voting member)
John Joergensen, Rutgers University School of Law (voting member)
Jane Larrington, University of San Diego Legal Research Center (voting member)
Michael Neuren, Judicial Council of Georgia (member)
Kristina Niedringhaus, Georgia State University College of Law (voting member)
Véronique Parisse, Aubay S.A. (voting member)
Catherine Tabone, ELI Task Force (voting member)
Grant Vergottini, Xcential Group, LLC (member)
Fabio Vitali, University of Bologna-CIRSFID (voting member)

13 voting members of 18 (72%) being present, the meeting was quorate

John called the meeting to order.

1. Affiliation with LegalXML Member Section

Chet explained the process for requesting and approving affiliation:

- The TC approves a motion to request a Special Majority Vote to approve the request for affiliation.
- TC Administration sets up the SMV and runs it using the TC’s electronic ballot facility.
- If the ballot passes, the chairs notify the Member Section of the result and request affiliation.
- TC Administration sets up a SMV for the MS steering committee to approve affiliation.
- If that passes, the TC is listed as a member on the Member Section page and the TC likewise notes the affiliation on the TC page.

Ken asked what affiliation means in a practical sense. Chet said that he would review the LegalXML MS rules of procedure and summarize requirements and benefits in an email to the TC prior the Special Majority Ballot.

Fabio moved to request TC Admin to start a Special Majority Vote to approve the request for affiliation. Ken seconded.

John called the question. No nay votes were heard. The motion was passed unanimously.

2. Discussion of the use case template

The exchange of emails on the use case template was reviewed.

Ken noted that he heard the distinction being that Chet saw use cases as being user-centric, Fabio saw them as being document-centric. Consensus that this is the distinction.

Fabio noted that he feels both approaches gather useful information. His concerns were that (a) user-centric use cases would likely result in a number of differently worded requirements that were essentially the same (e.g. adding a reference for an unambiguous citation / adding a reference for an ambiguous citation are essentially the same requirement - to add a reference that resolves to the correct resource), and (b) that aspects of the metadata that could be derived from the document analysis would be missed.

No decision was made on taking one approach or the other. Both are needed.

3. Discussion of the idea of holding two meetings to accommodate different time zones

Ken asked what people thought of the idea. Consensus was to give it some more thought and discuss at our meeting in two weeks.

Meanwhile, Chet agreed to send a list of members and their locations/time zones to the TC as one input.

4. Any other business

No other business being raised, Ken made a motion to adjourn. The meeting was adjourned.

The next meeting is scheduled for 07 May 2014.

Minutes submitted by Chet Ensign.

=== chat log ===

[10:02] Gary Graham: Good morning everyone.

[10:03] Fabio Vitali: Good afternoon

[10:04] anonymous morphed into Michael Neuren

[10:05] joergensen: Hi everyone.

[10:05] anonymous morphed into Catherine Tabone

[10:06] Fabio Vitali: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/legalcitem/event.php?event_id=37555

[10:06] Ken Hirsh: chat https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/legalcitem/event.php?event_id=37555

[10:07] Fabio Vitali:
[10:08] Fabio Vitali: Would justification lower the quorum? I have a justification for Monica Palmirani, who is travelling at the moment

[10:09] anonymous morphed into Jane Larrington

[10:14] Frank Bennett: Yes, I signed in.

[10:17] Fabio Vitali: I sweared

[10:18] Daniel Bennett: raises my hand

[10:19] Fabio Vitali: ken are you here?

[10:20] Ken Hirsh: I am in a phone call for a few minutes.

[10:22] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Ken - ok, we are just discussing the different takes on the use cases

[10:24] anonymous morphed into Grant Vergottini

[10:26] Ken Hirsh: I'm back.
[10:27] Ken Hirsh: BTW, system says we have a quorum.

[10:27] Fabio Vitali: yeah!!!

[10:28] Ken Hirsh: Call the meeting to order, please.

[10:30] anonymous morphed into Michael Neuren

[10:31] Daniel Bennett: What are the issues with this association? Is there any changes in terms of process or rules?
[10:34] Daniel Bennett: Is there an additional requirements for our work products like complying with or changing our work products?

[10:43] Frank Bennett: (twenty to midnight)
[10:44] Frank Bennett: (side question: in my case, does attendance lead to voting privs?)

[10:45] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Hi Frank - yes, attendance controls voting rights

[10:45] Frank Bennett: (I'm still down as a non-voter, I think)

[10:46] Chet Ensign (OASIS): If you are down as a non-voter, I'll fix that right now. I'm updating teh roster as we speak

[10:46] Frank Bennett: Thanks.

[10:49] Fabio Vitali: Meet you at http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/legalcitem-technical in 75 minutes

--

/chet