legalcitem message

Subject: Re: [legalcitem] Looking for feedback on types of administrative documents

Dear Chet,

my 0.05€ [1], right off the top of my head, and as a non-jurist.

In Akoma Ntoso an extremely important distinction is in the effectivity of the document. Thus a proposed regulation is nowhere close to a final regulation, in that one is potential, and the other is active.

Consider a legislative act: it starts with no status whatsoever as a draft by one or more MPs. In this stage it is nothing. Then it is submitted to the appropriate office of their chamber, where it is formally received and examined, and if accepted it is turned into a bill, and scheduled for discussion according to procedure. Once the full procedure is carried out, it is turned into an approved bill which then becomes an act (i.e., law) only once it is enacted, e.g. by the signature of the President.

First draft, bill and act are very similar, may even have identical text, but are completely different types of document with completely different impact on reality.

So the first distinction I would make is between enacted and non-enacted documents (including not-yet-enacted ones). Also the sentence "regulations that have been finally published in some codified form and have taken effect" sounds odd to me: enactment is a formal step, which may include or be synchronized with (a special form of) publication, but the determination of its nature is given by the enactment, not the mere publication.

A second lesson we learnt from examining documents from all over the world is that the best way to represent documents is by using the name that the local tradition has used to call them. Thus, if, for instance, directives are really a special case of orders, but they are traditionally called differently, then they should be called differently in the citation and in the reference: local tradition rules in naming document. This means that if the Executive, 20 years in the future, will start naming orders as wishes, then by all means these will be referred to as wishes, even if they are conceptually and legally equivalent to orders as emanated today.

Ciao

Fabio

--

[1] About 0.08$

--

Fabio Vitali                            Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly,
Dept. of Computer Science        Man got to sit and wonder "Why, why, why?'