Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Information to be tagged for redaction

XML enabled authoring tools provide functionality to support the attorney's requirement to redact data... we are in this arena in our work at DOJ/EOUSA.  there is a need to implement business processes as well...  here is further comment as promised by me in Utah... from the practitioner point of view...

per our Electronic Case Filing Project legal advisor:
there should be a comprehensive agreed upon definition on what constitutes account numbers and that may have to be broken because some may need to be revealed under limited circumstances beyond counsel etc and probably may need to include credit reports.  The list should include birth dates and mother's maiden name.  For victims it should include victims family members as well for all of the same information and for law enforcement there should be tags for undercover and cooperators.

i attach a draft working document that provides additional feedback on this topic of what data should be tagged for redaction.... these are the preliminary data requirements that we have from our attorneys complying with court notices.... all relates to court filings or case documents on the attorney's desk  this is our work on the subject to date   diane

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin T. Wilson [mailto:ben.wilson@xcera.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 5:25 PM
To: Lewis, Diane; Lin, Meng-chun; 'John M. Greacen'; 'Bergeron, Donald
L. (LNG)'; 'jik'; 'Larry Webster'; 'Mary Campbell McQueen'; 'Mohyeddin
Abdulaziz'; 'Robin Gibson'; 'Rolly Chambers'; 'Terrie Bousquin'; 'Eddie
OBrien'; 'Roger Winters'; 'Gregory W. Arnold'; 'Dr. Laurence Leff';
'John Messing'; 'Allen Jensen'; 'Rory Perry'; 'Ron.Beach';
'moira.rowley'; 'Dwight R Daniels'; 'Ron Bowmaster'; 'Charles Gilliam';
'aerts'; 'jeromeb'; 'tbrown'; 'tom.clarke'; 'bruce.gitlin'; 'dagoodwi';
'roger'; 'wjohnsto'; 'pkasselman'; 'Catherine.Krause'; 'manoj';
'gary.pinder'; 'gpoindexter'; 'dpowell'; 'ssansom'; 'tjsmith';
'steve.spohn'; 'steven.taylor'; 'kthotti'; 'swood'; 'Mark S. Yuan';
'Robert DeFilippis'; 'John Ruegg'; 'John McClure';
/DDV=legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org/DDT=RFC-822/O=INETGW/P=GO
V+DOJ/A=TELEMAIL/C=US/
Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Information to be tagged for
redaction

FYI and for what it's worth -
I did  a little googling, and New Mexico's federal court
(http://www.nmcourt.fed.us/bkdocs/lackpriv.pdf), consistent with the
Report of the Judicial Conference of the United States
(http://www.privacy.uscourts.gov/Policy.htm) (that certain "personal
data identifiers" - Social Security numbers, dates of birth, financial
account numbers and names of minor children- be modified or partially
redacted by litigants), says the following regarding redaction:
Redacting means the careful editing of a document to remove confidential
material; on paper, the material is usually "blacked out" with a marker.
Personal identifiers:
a. Social Security numbers. If an individual?s social security number
must be included in a pleading, only the last four digits of that number
should be used.
b. Names of minor children. If the involvement of a minor child must be
mentioned, only the initials of that child should be used.
c. Dates of birth. If an individual?s date of birth must be included in
a pleading, only the year should be used.
d. Financial account numbers. If financial account numbers are relevant,
only the last four digits of these numbers should
be used.

However, as the web site for the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern
District of California
(http://www.caeb.uscourts.gov/data/pubnotices/not_re_privacy_elec_Avail.
pdf) notes, until bankruptcy law/rules are amended, the full social
security number / employer identification number is required in the
title of the case (caption).

I take this to mean that it is the responsibility of the attorney and
litigants (and not the technology/XML) to redact personal data
identifiers.