Subject: XML Namespaces for Government Organizations

Hi! fellow TC members

I wanted to share with you an email thread initiated by Mr. Todd Vincent with the Federal CIO Council Co-Chair of the XML Working Group given our discussions here in WASH DC at the last face to face meeting.

To my mind Mr. Vincent's efforts are in parallel with any OASIS Legal XML Court Document definition effort ("BLUE") as well as the efforts of some of the other OASIS Legal XML TC efforts such as the Contract TC document schema definition.

I have not been in contact with Mr. Vincent nor been given documents to read about his work so i am not familiar with details of his initiative other than what is in the message text below.  However, i do believe this is the same Mr. Vincent who has been working for the State of California Court System and whose California initiative has been discussed at our TC forums.

i just wanted the Court Filing TC members to be aware of the efforts outside OASIS LegalXML underway to author and reuse XML content that includes legal data . Mr. Vincent's effort is also in parallel i believe to DOJ Office of Justice Program JXDD model.    You will note in the message that Mr. Gill from OJP is listed as another contact for Mr. Vincent.    diane

--- Begin Message ---

Todd, Susie Adams has suggested her presentation may not take a full hour,
and while I wouldn't rule out the possibility that we may have some extra
time at the end of the agenda, I doubt it.
http://xml.gov/agenda/20030820.htm  I certainly wouldn't want you to count
on it.  However, if you do attend, either in person or via telecon, you
could introduce yourself and your XML-related efforts at the beginning of
the meeting, and if time permits at the end of the meeting (or during the
break) you might be able to take a few minutes to show some folks what
you've got.  Again, though, I wouldn't want to make any commitments in that
regard.  In the  meantime here are a few other potential connections:

1) I'm copying Steve Levenson of the US Courts, Diane Lewis of DOJ, and
John Clark of GSA's Government Without Boundaries program in the event they
may wish to see your offerings and/or provide a forum for you to
demonstrate them to others.

2) I'm copying Roy Morgan, who heads our Registry Project Team, in the
event he may wish to see your schema repository and/or schedule a
presentation on it for the team, which is scheduled to meet in the
afternoon:  http://xml.gov/agenda/rrt20030820.htm  (Note:  I personally
would be willing to stay past the 3:00 p.m. adjournment time to see it.)

3) Finally, if you think you might like to participate in the XML
authoring/editing tools forum planned for September 29, a form is provided
via a link at the bottom of the page at:
http://www.eccnet.com/xmlug/XML-forum/XML-Authoring-Invitation.html

BTW, I see that your lessons-learned document is available at
http://e-ct-file.gsu.edu/ but that registration is required in order to see
it.  I have deleted the attachment you sent me because, as a matter of
general principle, I do not send folks attachments they have not requested.
I scanned it quickly.  I did not review it in any detail but would be
interested to know more about the lessons you learned in trying to use MS
Word versus Corel WordPerfect files, and your predictions about the
usability of upcoming revisions of those products with respect to the
creation and editing of valid XML instance documents.

Owen Ambur, Co-Chair
XML Working Group
http://xml.gov/

                      "Winchel \"
                      <winchel@mindspri        To:       <Owen_Ambur@fws.gov>
                      ng.com/                  cc:       <JGLACE@lmi.org>
                                               Subject:  Re: [XMLWG] XML Namespaces for Government
                      08/15/03 02:32 PM         Organizations

Owen:

Thank you for your email.

If I were to attend the meeting on Wednesday, is there any chance I could
give you or others a demonstration of some of our systems?  I understand
that the agenda is probably already set, but I would be happy to spend some
additional time if you or others had time to spare.  Among other things, we
have a schema repository and a schema generator, as well as a number of
working applications built around XML.  Please see the attached document.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Todd

Winchel "Todd" Vincent III
Attorney and Technical Consultant