Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Apologies and follow-up to Jan 6th 2004 conference call

Diane,

Just a few more quick thoughts in response to a couple of your questions:

#2 - To reiterate what Jim Cabral already said, OXCI cannot conform to Blue
because it doesn't exist yet.  Like the work of several vendors and 2GEFS,
the architecture and schemas of OXCI can provide some of the raw materials
that the TC may or may not choose to reuse when creating Blue.  OXCI has the
stated intent to fully comply with Blue when it does exist, even though that
compliance will require refactoring at additional expense.

#3 - As the chair of the Certification Subcommittee, I certainly have not
forgotten our original intent in this area.  As my architect often says, a
standard is not open unless an open implementation of it exists.  I am
hoping that by complying with Blue when it is done, OXCI could serve as this
open implementation.  It could also serve as the basis for a compliance test
suite if a consortium of vendors chose to construct such a suite.  This
approach still follows the Java/Sun example, where Sun offers an open
implementation and a test suite, but vendors have nevertheless created a
lively market in commercial solutions (application servers like BEA and
WebSphere).