Subject: Re: [legalxml-courtfiling] Use of non-OASIS facility by Requirements Subcommittee

John,

Allowing the wiki to be reviewed by members of the TC and the public,
along with providing snap shots of the work produced by the subcommittee
to the OASIS web site is certainly a positive development and a step in
the right direction.  I believe that what is at the heart of these
issues is the perception by people like me that some work and important
decisions have been happening behind closed doors.  I'm sure that is not
your intention but that is my perception.  Most people would agree that
a standard not based on peer review and application does not have a lot
of a chance for acceptance or success. I don't understand why it took so
much effort to get to this point and perhaps that is a lesson learned.

As to the subcommittee, do they have an official charter or statement of
purpose? I'm also assuming there is a list of deliverables along with
deliverable dates?  Robin recently posted (today) the subcommittee
minutes from August 30th and they allude to some deliverables and dates
but I can't find them.  Lacking timely published minutes from our calls
and meetings, the limited group resources seem to be centered on
oversight issues instead of being focused and productive.  Perhaps these
items are available somewhere and I am simply overlooking them, and if
so, then my apologies and would appreciate if you could point me in the
right direction.

I believe it is important to demonstrate that our processes are
occurring in a manner benefiting everyone who might want to use
standards developed by this group. Indeed this seems to be what OASIS
intended by forming TC Guidelines, which it describes in the following
manner:

  "OASIS has adopted this Technical Committee Process to ensure an open,

  democratic governance for its work, giving all interested parties,
  regardless of their standing in a specific industry, an equal voice in

  the development and activities of the consortium."

Whether accidental or otherwise, by not adhering to the policies of
OASIS the TC will continue to run the risk of being perceived in the
wrong light.  With the amount of work before us, I don't believe that
anyone participating in the TC deserves to be perceived in that fashion.

Regards,

Robert T. DeFilippis | EVP & COO
One Legal, Inc.
504 Redwood Blvd.