Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] NIEM - National Information Exchange Model

Hello Jim:

NIEM is for real and it is something we need to consider.  At the same time it should have little impact on what the TC is doing.  NIEM is not an extension of GJXDM. GJXDM is the base for NIEM.  Currently the idea is to identify core components from GJXDM that can be used by other domains within the realm of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and beyond.  An initial review is being done, as we speak, to identify core components (Person, Location, Vehicle, Organization, etc.) from the GJXDM.  Those core component tag names for complex types and basic elements will be used to exchange information between different domains such as Criminal Justice, Transportation and Emergency Services.

If the TC's components can be associated to such GJXDM core components then there is little to worry about when it comes to NIEM.  GJXDM will still be the domain specific standard for the criminal justice environment. It will need to be considered when information must be exchange beyond the criminal justice domain to other domains.  The more extensions you have beyond the GJXDM, the more impact NIEM has on the future of the current work being done by the TC.

The reason I know this is that I have recently jointed the NIEM's Project Team as the content manager for the NIEM web site (NIEM.gov).  You should see major changes in that site over the next couple of months and it is one of my objectives to provide a means for open participation and information for practitioners and technologists who participate in such TC's as ours.

I just had my first conference call with the project team so it will take me a little while to get up to speed but I know over the next two month more concrete information about the NIEM standard will be reported by the project team.

At the current time, I say keep doing what you're doing and make sure the GJXDM artifacts meet the criminal justice community's needs and just make sure to stay within the GJXDM standard as much as possible.  That will help in making sure NIEM will be addressed in the future.

Winnie

Winfield J. Wagner
Director of Integrated Justice Information Systems
11995 El Camino Real
Suite 302
San Diego, CA  92130
http://www.crossflo.com