Subject: Rejuvenation of the Court Document Subcommittee

At the Atlanta face to face meeting, Rex McElrath voiced the desire to have the ECFTC work on fully marked up court documents, rather than focusing all of our efforts on the transmission of documents that may, or may not, be created using XML.  With the encouragement of the co-chairs, Rex has prepared several drafts of a proposed charter for a rejuvenated Court Document Subcommittee.  His overall proposal has received strong support although the TC has not agreed on the final wording of a new charter.

Tom Clarke and I believe that the time has come to commence the Subcommittee’s work, with the understanding that its first task will be to refine the draft charter in light of all the comments submitted.  Tom and I are appointing Rex and Jim Cabral as co-chairs of the subcommittee.  Rex’s highest interest is in the creation of documents for child support cases; Jim has articulated the need for the TC to address documents for child dependency cases.  We believe that the appointment of co-chairs should allow the committee to approach the two topics in an even-handed way.

We have chosen to initiate the subcommittee’s activities at this time so that persons interested in its activities may have an opportunity to arrange to meet in conjunction with the upcoming CTC9 conference and the TC face to face meeting that follows.

Our thanks to both Rex and Jim for agreeing to take on this leadership role.

HCR 78 Box 23

Regina, New Mexico 87046

505-289-2164

505-289-2163 (fax)