Subject: Comments on WS MP

Jim and TC:

Apologies for not getting these comments out sooner, but I do have the following comments on the Web Services Messaging Profile:

Line 273:  The WS-I Basic Profile requires that the receiver of a message not rely on the SOAPAction header for processing of the message.  Given that, I wonder why we are requiring that it be used.  From an implementer's point of view, SOAPAction is generally ignored and of little value, since per WS-I BP all information vital to processing has to be included in the SOAP Body anyway.  I recommend we rewrite section 2.5 so that the WS MP relies only on http request/response to satisfy this profile requirement.

(Similar comment applies to lines 280-281).

Line 283: I find this section confusing.  The purpose of this profile requirement is to make sure profiles have a way of delimiting between the message and attachments, and between attachments.  All we need to do here is refer to WS-I BP and WS-I Attachments profile, which in turn rely on SOAP 1.1 and SOAP with Attachments.  Those specifications require MIME boundaries between the message and attachments, and between individual attachments.  I recommend that this section be rewritten per the above to clarify it.

I will be on the call from 10-10:25, and would be happy to discuss these points at that time.

Thanks.

--Scott