Subject: Charter: Mention Marked-Up Documents

Hello, John, and members of the List,

In perusing the draft revised Charter, I have realized we haven't stressed that it is a goal of the TC to develop XML documents that would be marked up in such a way as to automate data extraction and eliminate duplicative data entry for court filings. Accordingly, I propose that the draft Charter revision be amended to include language such as:

"the TC intends to develop techniques and principles for creating XML legal documents for the purpose of data capture and re-use without manual re-entry, across a broad spectrum of uses, including court filings."

I hope others will endorse this added purpose and, if anyone has better language, please offer it.

Thanks!

Roger

Roger Winters
King County