Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Decision from the OASIS Board of Directors

It doesn’t get any better: see attached

From: chet.ensign@comcast.net [mailto:chet.ensign@comcast.net]
Sent: October 14, 2010 9:06 AM
To: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

>> The fact that this was happening without the member section steering committee or the ECF TC not being aware is very disturbing.  There is obviously a serious lack of communication somewhere in the process. <<

Jim, do you mean that this seems to have happened without any previous discussions with the SC? I agree that if this is the first anyone's heard of the board's unhappiness, that is an unfortunate oversight.

I can offer some perspective from my time on the Technical Architecture Board (TAB). The OASIS board has expressed two concerns consistently, through a variety of changes in membership and agendas: how can OASIS get more TC's going and how should OASIS handle TC's that exist on paper but are effectively moribund.

While I was on the TAB, the staff developed guidelines for the second issue that I believe have reduced the number of dormant TC's. I am sure the board is still vocal about the first issue (let's face - there will never be such a thing as too many TC's).

It's ironic that at the very moment when open government is becoming a much more public topic and where OASIS itself has at least one new TC starting up, the board is putting the LegalXML member section on the spot. (I realize of course that government and law are not the same thing - but you really can't have much of the former without the latter and if action around o-gov is heating up, it is reasonable to assume that there'll be some ripple effect in the e-law.) But perhaps that's the point. I can put myself in the board's shoes and see how they could be asking "Is anything really happening in LegalXML? With all this Law.gov stuff going on, why don't they have more activity in the works?"

George, you certainly make the case that we're no moribund. And, based again on my past experiences, I don't think the board is on the verge of doing anything draconian. My guess is that they just want to shake the tree a bit to get our attention and see if we can't get more TC's started up or reactivated, more PR about our activities, more organizations coming in as members, etc.

That's my take anyhow. I believe the board would be more than thrilled to have us spending money so long as OASIS has more activity to show for it. Perhaps it is time for some thoughts on recruiting new members and inviting in new initiatives.

Best regards,

/chet

Individual member

--- Begin Message ---
Title: [legalxml-sc] Re: [board-plus] Decision from the OASIS Board of Directors

One correction, the date noted in final amended resolution is 13 October 2010.

The motion as modified reads "Prohibit Legal XML member section from making any further spending commitments as of 13 October 2010 until they have convinced the Board that they are a going concern."

The following additional resolution was also passed:

"The Board revise the RoP for the Legal XML Member Section to remove dues allocation, effective immediately."

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Secretary, OASIS Board of Directors