Subject: Re: [legalxml-courtfiling-chair] SCOTUS Riley Decision on Wednesday

Tony,

I’m sorry for the delay in responding - I just returned from vacation.

I agree - eWarrants is a potential area for development in LegalXML, although I see warrants as an integrated justice exchange rather than an extension of court electronic filing.  I am CCing the LegalXML Steering Committee so that they may consider this new area.

__

From: Tony Rutkowski
Sent: ‎Friday‎, ‎June‎ ‎27‎, ‎2014 ‎2‎:‎06‎ ‎AM
To: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org, legalxml-courtfiling-chair@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: James Bryce Clark

The Court's decision is resulting in a
significantly enhanced interest in
electronic warrant specifications.

As some of you may know, several years
ago I initiated and led the global eWarrant
specification effort in the ETSI LI Technical
Committee.  The initial report was completed
and published, and a technical specification
is approaching maturity.

In examining some of Chief Justice Roberts
eWarrant citations, as well as scanning some
of the blogs and coverage of the Riley decision
and search engine results, it's apparent that
some number of state courts have moved ahead
with their own eWarrant systems.  Within TC LI
which just finished a plenary meeting yesterday,
there is significant interest in identifying all
the eWarrant implementations.  To the extent that
some form of common global eWarrant specification
is feasible, that seems like a desirable direction.

The instantiation of some electronic warrant
subgroup activity in OASIS seems highly desirable.
It could also work cooperatively with the ETSI
eWarrant community.  How do we make this happen??

best,
tony