Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling-chair] SCOTUS Riley Decision on Wednesday

A lot of work has been done on eWarrants in the US.  The Department of Justice (through the Bureau of Justice Assistance) has supported development of reference service specifications that several states are using as a starting point for their eWarrants projects.  The reference service specs are available on the Global Information Sharing Toolkit at https://it.ojp.gov/gist/Search?term=arrest+warrants.  Like ECF 4, this work aligns with national initiatives - i.e., the National Information Exchange Model (NIEM) and the Global Reference Architecture (GRA).  The scope has been primarily (although not exclusively) arrest warrants, but perhaps any new effort can leverage some of the good work that has already been developed.

--Jim

From: legalxml-courtfiling-chair@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:legalxml-courtfiling-chair@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Tony Rutkowski
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 13:32
To: James E Cabral; legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org; legalxml-courtfiling-chair@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: James Bryce Clark; legalxml-sc

Hi Jim,

Speaking both for Yaana as well as the eWarrant
rapporteur at ETSI TCLI, we are very interested in
moving this forward; although a unanimous Supreme
Court decision and opinion by the Chief Justice certainly
trumps everything.

In beginning to contact some of the local jurisdictions
cited by the C.J., it appears in most cases that someone
locally simply went forward with an implementation an
obtained in some instances, related changes to the State
rules under which they operated.

At the international level when we moved forward with
a definitive global eWarrant spec about 18 months ago,
we found a similar phenomenon where individual
jurisdictions simply started to implement something
that met their immediate needs.  As a result, the draft
spec was designed from the start to be very flexible
and extensible.  This included low end implementations
that consisted of a PDF attachment.

--tony