Subject: RE: ECF 5: CaseGeneralCategoryText, CaseCategoryText, and CaseSubCategoryText

Glad this is helpful and thank you for the feedback.

Regarding Division, I have seen this level/name most often used between “Court” and “Case Category”.  For example, the Ohio Court of Common Pleas has a General Division, Domestic Relations Division, and Probate Division.  Beneath these “Division” they have case categories/types (e.g., the Probate Division has Guardianship, Conservatorship, etc.).  Pennsylvania is similar to Ohio for Court of Common Pleas.  This is consistent with Jim Price/Arizona note.  There are others that follow this pattern (e.g., Washington State, Washington, D.C.)

Georgia used to (maybe still does) use “Division” to mean “Case Category” and “Case Category” to mean “Case Type” (using terms from the original email).

In California, CCMS and Tyler use Case Category and Case Type as described in the original email.  However, JTI switches this, using Case Type as Case Category and Case Category as Case Type.  This is a joy when writing requirements for developers.  😊

“Department” is used in California to mean a Judge or group of Judges and is often used for case assignment or scheduling.  Perhaps California has corrupted me, though some might say it is the other way around.  😊

From: Price, Jim [mailto:JPrice@courts.az.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 11:59 AM
To: 'McMillan, Jim' <jmcmillan@ncsc.org>; Todd Vincent <tvincent@onelegal.com>; 'James E Cabral' <jec@mtgmc.com>; legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

Thanks Todd.  This does help.

Jim M’s observation of Department correlating to a Division (Civil, Family, Criminal, Probate, Drug Court, etc.) is consistent with Arizona’s court system.  Location, as you’ve described, works for identifying a specific court within a county that contains several court locations.

It should be clear by your examples and descriptions, the table derived from Jim C’s work, and the Rosetta Stone Arizona shared that we (TC) must have a common language if the ECF specifications and resulting schema we develop are going to be meaningful and actionable.  We all use words all the time to explain concepts.  Words have meaning and context is everything (e.g., Case Category, Case Type, Case Subtype, etc.).

Jim