Subject: RE: Feedback 27 - Definition for Filing

Gary:

Gary’s Recent Suggestion:

An electronic submission (with any associated data, one or many lead and connected documents, and the like) that has been assembled for the purpose of being filed, either into a specified court case, or to initiate a new court case.  (emphasis added)

Suggested edits in [brackets]:

An electronic [transaction (also called an “envelope” or “filing”)] (with any associated data, one or many lead and connected documents, and the like) [submitted by a Filing Application to an EFM], either into a specified court case, or to initiate a new court case.

“Transaction”, “Envelope”, “Electronic Filing”, “Electronic Court Filing”, and “Filing” are commonly used as synonyms (with “Filing” often used to mean “Document”).  I prefer “Filing” but given the confusion with “Document” often use “Transaction” or “Envelope”.

“filed” . . . as a verb, I have given up using and replaced with “submitted” to avoid confusion with the terms “filed” and “lodged” which have specific meaning to court clerks.

I find “Filing Application” and “EFM” clearer, but feel free to substitute the appropriate ECF “MDE” terms.

Thanks,

Todd