Subject: Re: [legalxml-enotary] Two items for consideration by eNotary TC

These are very good questions, Mark.  I agree that Jamie should
weigh in on the liability issue, although common-sense tells me
that the Conformance Tool (CT) can only assert that a particular
software implementation of the spec passed the CT's tests (that
the documents created by the implementer's SW produced XML that
passed the CT).  It cannot, obviously, vouch for anything in the
eNotarization process or that bugs in the implementer's software
cause other problems that impact the notarization/verification
process.  That remains the responsibility of the SW vendor.

The way I see the tool working is that a SW implementation would
implement the spec, create eNotarized documents with it, and would
then verify the eNotarized document with the CT (which will provide
detailed debugging output as well as the visual icon display).  The
SW implementer would then check to see that their software goes
through the same verification process and produces the same result,
thus ensuring that they produce eNotarized documents that conform
to the spec.  The CT would be like a pacing-car to make sure SW
implementations don't get out of whack from the spec.  I don't
believe OASIS is exposed for providing such tools, but that's for
Jamie to determine and declare.

WRT logistics, building such a CT will not be trivial, but its not
very difficult either.  I've written some very complex software (for
the protocol that is being standardized in the EKMI TC) and based on
that effort, I would estimate that a software developer could produce
a decent CT within 3 months.

I don't believe that OASIS would be limiting market creativity; if
that were true, then none of OASIS' standards would be implemented
by any vendor.  Standardization, as you know, expands the market size,
and speeds up adoption because of consistency.  Given the kinds of
things Acrobat, Word, OpenOffice, WordPerfect and all the other
document-software perform, the eNotarization module will be a tiny
drop in their ocean of features/code.  Important from a legal point-
of-view, but insignificant from a code-POV.

That said, I think OASIS should make a concerted effort to try and
bring Microsoft, Adobe, Sun Microsystems (owner of OpenOffice), Corel
and other document-management companies to the eNotary TC table and
ask them to participate in this part of the process.  I believe they
will see the wisdom of the effort once they hear the arguments.

The browser industry is plagued with these look-and-feel problems and
I can't tell you what a headache it is for software developers who're
trying to create a consistent L-and-F to their applications when IE,
Firefox, Safari and Opera all do a common thing very differently.  I'm
hoping to avoid that headache for SW developers when it comes to
eNotarized documents.

Arshad