legalxml-legislative message

Subject: Reminder & Agenda: OASIS LegalXML Legislative TC - Thursday 5/20/2004 @ 2:00-3:00 PM EDST

Meeting Reminder
OASIS LegalXML Legislative Technical Committee
When:  Thursday, May 20, 2004 @ 2:00-3:00 PM EDST
Conference Dial-in:  512-225-3050
Conference Guest Code:  84759#
Leader: Don Bergeron & Daniel Bennett

Agenda:

- Accept Minutes or Questions (5 Min)
- Status (Tentative) - State & Federal Legislative Electronic 	Document
Usage & Capability Survey (5 Min)
- Status (Attentive) - Dublin Core Usage Modelling - Protect & 	Document
Current Work & Speed up effort 	(10 Min)
	Please send Sam & I any archives you my have or personal
working documents you would like to share!
- Next two Telephone Conference Meeting Targets
	(2 Min)
	OASIS LegalXML Legislative Technical Committee
	When:  Thursday, June 3, 2004, June 10,2004 @ 2:00-3:00 PM 	EDST
	Conference Dial-in:  512-225-3050
	Conference Guest Code:  84759#

-Discussion of Face-To-Face (8 Min)

- Questions on Message to Technical Committee Members (5 Min)

- Targeted Solicitation for Prospective Members(15 Min)(see below)

Regards,

Don Bergeron & Daniel Bennett

Targeted Solicitation:

Good day:

The OASIS LegalXML Legislative Documents Technical Committee is trying to
identify the needs of our community, so we can set the correct focus for
developing our specifications and deliverables.

There are at least three stakeholder groups in our community: the
originators, the distributors, and the end users of legislative content. All
of the members in these groups have needs and interests in establishing open
standards for legislative content and metadata that support their very
different operational requirements. The work of the Legislative Documents TC
can support these stakeholders when their needs specifically, those needs
that have near-term value are thoughtfully discussed, prioritized and
addressed. We ask for your participation in such an effort.

The technical committee is preparing a survey, to be distributed shortly, to
understand the current use of metadata, XML, and other structured markup
systems (SGML, PDF) across the States and Federal governments. We would
appreciate your participating in the survey if appropriate. It will be a key
input in helping the TC identify specific business or operational needs that
various stakeholders bring to the table where standards in this area could
help!

During the next few meetings, I invite you to join this discussion and goal
setting. Once this is complete, we shall return to the OASIS rules that only
OASIS members may participate in the meetings of the committee. We welcome
your participation in the work of the TC!

Some of you may be tempted to go it alone.  However, If we do not coordinate
our efforts we will end up competing and diluting the outcome.  OASIS
provides a framework and open methodology that can help us create standards
that are trusted, adopted and used.

The first step is to identify specific business needs that you bring to the
table where standards in this area could help!  Then, you can either
participate directly, by joining OASIS LegalXML (here:
http://www.oasis-open.org/join/) and helping us set and execute the agenda,
or indirectly, by following the TC's work on the public mailing lists and
providing feedback using the public comment forms OASIS provides for all
TCs.

Please reply to this email and cc. donald.bergeron@lexisnexis.com and
sam.hunting@lexisnexis.com with your thoughts. And please look forward to us
to contact you soon to follow up.

Please feel free to forward this to anyone that should be interested in this
effort and forward their email, phone number or other contact information,
so that I may follow-up.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Regards,

Don Bergeron

Acting Co-Chair OASIS LegalXML Legislative Documents TC

donald.bergeron@lexisnexis.com
O - 937-865-1276