lexidma message

Subject: First stab at XML serialisation

Hi all, and esp. Michal,

I now made a first stab, not yet at making a schema, but at making a simple XML file which uses all the objects (elements) and properties (attributes) that are in the core module.

Already here I have a number of questions, and also spotted some mistakes in the specs, so, before I go any further, could I get an answer to them, and maybe the corrected specs on GitHub?

I attach the XML, and pls. see the comments beginning with "Q:" (even though some are not questions, but suggestions).

Also, I think RelaxNG will be needed, because it allows importing the core schema into the extension module schemas, I don't think you can do that with DTDs.

Best,

TomaÅ

<!-- General Q: I think that those properties that contain free text (@definition, @text, @value) should go into XML elements rather than into
    XML attributes, is this ok? In fact, I think it is even necessary, as otherwise we cannot do the mark-up described in the Inline Markup Module.
    And, given this module (if nothing else), should not the free-text containing properties rather be objects?
-->

<!-- LexicographicResource/@xml:lang and LexicographicResource/@transcriptionScheme are optional -->
<!-- Q: why is @xml:lang (or, in the abstracts specs property "language") optional?
    Surely it is needed for every dictionary. In fact, Lex0 mandates it on every entry -->
<LexicographicResource xmlns="http://docs.oasis-open.org/lexidma/ns/dmlex-1.0"; xml:lang="en" transcriptionScheme="en-fonipa">
    <!-- Entry/@homographNumber is optional -->
    <Entry headword="bank" homographNumber="1">
        <PartOfSpeech value="noun" listingOrder="1"/> <!-- zero or more -->
        <!-- Label/@listingOrder is optional -->
        <Label value="A Label" listingOrder="1"/> <!-- zero or more -->
        <!-- At least one of Pronunciation/@transcription or Pronunciation/@recording -->
        <!-- Pronunciation/@listingOrder is optional -->
        <!-- Q: for recording the specs say: "(string: name or URL of a sound file)".
            1. As URL can also be a local file, I suggest to remove "name or"
            2. Instead of generic "string" which could be "tralala hopsasa", this could be the better defined "URI" (xs:anyURI) datatype -->
        <Pronunciation transcription="A transcription" recording="http://nl.ijs.si/bank.mp3"; listingOrder="1"> <!-- zero or more -->
            <!-- Label/@listingOrder is optional -->
            <Label value="A Label" listingOrder="1"/> <!-- zero or more -->
        </Pronunciation>
        <!-- Q: The definition in the specs says "caption", but examples give "label", which is it?? -->
        <!-- Q: It says that "caption" can be "constrained and mapped to external authorities by the DMLex Controlled Vocabularies Module."
            Why is there then no such statement made for PartOfSpeech/@value? -->
        <!-- Q: Specs says Usage is a child of InflectedForm, but it is never defined and the examples use Label! I assume Label -->
        <!-- InflectedForm/@listingOrder is optional -->
        <InflectedForm caption="plural" value="banks" listingOrder="1"> <!-- zero or more -->
            <Label value="A Label"/> <!-- zero or more -->
            <Pronunciation transcription="A transcription"/> <!-- zero or more -->
        </InflectedForm>
        <!-- Sense/@listingOrder, Sense/@indicator, Sense/@definition are optional -->
        <!-- Q: Specs here and elsewhere do not explicitly say listingOrder is optional, they probably should. -->
        <!-- Q: Why is a definition a property rather than a child?
            Having it as a propertly does not allow extension to introduce markup in the definition -->
        <Sense listingOrder="1" indicator="Short indicator" definition="A long definition"> <!-- zero or more -->
            <Label value="A Label"/> <!-- zero or more -->
            <!-- Example/@listingOrder is optional -->
            <!-- Q: Why does Example have the property "text", rather than "value", as is the case for most of the others? -->
            <!-- Example/@listingOrder is optional -->
            <Example text="Example text" listingOrder="1"/> <!-- zero or more -->
        </Sense>
    </Entry>
</LexicographicResource>