oasis-board-comment message

Subject: RE: [emergency] CAP-IPAWS Profile Specification Issues

Art,

I'm a new observer to the group, and have been following with interest this work for several months, am also a resident of Alameda County and our children's schools is in Contra Costa.  Clearly feel like a safer person knowing that this work is held in hands like yours and this team who have been driving this effort for our futures.

Just a quick note that I hope that the process can unfold in a way that allows the integrity to remain intact, and without compromise, as it is, among all things a standard for emergency use.  And that all are able to get included, even if it requires some re-setting of timelines and mechanics.   I myself am humbled frequently on how to be a good citizen, and a good OASIS citizen.

Didn't listen to the meeting today, but wanted to express a sincere hope that your voice is heard in bringing the process together.   Of course, speed to market is a key factor and economic reality.   From the groups I've seen work, this group has been making fantastic progress in exactly that area.

Good luck in resolving this with OASIS and always,

--Mike
From: Art Botterell [ABott@so.cccounty.us]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:50 AM
To: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org; oasis-board-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Friends -

In the course of today's Emergency Management TC meeting a DHS representative expressed the opinion that OASIS is under a contractual obligations to expedite the processing of the IPAWS profile over and above the OASIS TC Process.  As we've been unable to obtain a copy of that contract, and considering that the numerous OASIS staff who were taking an active part in our meeting didn't appear to contradict that claim, I guess we have to assume that it's true.

Therefore I'm forced, reluctantly, to the conclusion that this process is seriously compromised by conflicts of interest.  I have asked that my name be removed from the list of editors of the IPAWS draft and I will be considering whether renewing my agency's OASIS membership would be in the best interests of the people of Contra Costa County.

- Art

Art Botterell, Manager
Community Warning System
Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff
50 Glacier Drive
Martinez, California 94553
(925) 313-9603
fax (925) 646-1120