oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: Re: [oasis-member-discuss] Re: [members] Membership and Public Reviewof OASIS Artifact Standard Identification Scheme for Metadata

As the person who first perpetrated the canonical hyphen-separated
form on OASIS documents in the pre-Kavi era, I'd like to speak in
favor of it.  (I was largely influenced by IETF naming rules but
didn't follow their lead completely; I was going for
general-to-specific fields rather than their all-over-the-place and
somewhat more verbose style.)

I don't want to rely on a fancy system that has to look inside a
document to tell me what it is; filenames are the easiest way to
label the content "out of band", and making them regularly ordered
means that it's useful to view and manipulate a pile of them in a
directory listing or folder, as editors often have to do.

(W3C forces creation of a unique URL/filename on the occasion of any
change, significant or no, in a document, and although that's a
pretty Draconian rule I've come to appreciate it.  That way, no one
is ever tricked into pointing to something whose content changes out
from under them.)

I don't think it's strictly necessary to make the filenames
machine-parsable, but reserving hyphens for formal filename parts
avoids ambiguity even for eyeballs.  If that's truly too onerous,
however, I'd be willing to take the risk of adding ambiguity by
allowing field-internal hyphens.

	Eve

--
Eve Maler                                         +1 425 947 4522
Technology Director                           eve.maler @ sun.com