oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: Re: [oasis-member-discuss] Re: [members] Membership and Public Review ofOASIS Artifact Standard Identification Scheme for Metadata

Bill,

As I have tried to make abundantly clear, I think it folly to try to imbue the filename with
parsable metadata. Metadata should be contained within the artifact (and machine processable
if possible, in addition to being human readable) or be associated with the artifact
by some other means (such as I have suggested in other missives).

As others have pointed out, forcing filenames to be changed just because the
version/revision changes, or the status, etc. will create more problems than
it is intended to solve.

That aside...

While I could live with the constraint of not allowing hyphens in the filename save those
that are used as metadata separators, I am fundamentally oposed to precluding their
use in the non-terminal path component of a URI, especially given that the OASIS
persistent URI space has already violated this constraint.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
STSM, Software Group Standards Strategy
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com