ocpp message

Subject: RE: [ocpp] NTP Time service configuration - standard configuration variables

Hi Anders, (Folks),

My thinking would be that in regard to charge point time synchronization in the general case, there are a number of layers of decision and that these operate as a hierarchy at three different levels.

1. What external time source should be used for time synchronization of the charge point:
	a) NTP
	b) Heartbeat (possibly renamed/re-purposed)
	c) Heartbeat, falling back to (likely local, possibly not continuously upstream connected) NTP
	d) NTP, falling back to Heartbeat

2. Where does the charge point get its NTP server network address(es)
	a) DHCP
	b) Explicitly specified
	c) Explicitly specified, falling back to DHCP
	d) DHCP, falling back to specified

3. What is the DHCP server network address (if explicitly specified)

All three data items are plausibly subject to further extension:

	1: Additional time sources
		Mobile data network time
		GPS time sources

	2: Additional NTP source selection mechanisms
		NTP "Pool" (pool.ntp.org)
		NTP country pools (<cc-tld>.pool.ntp.org)

	3. Specified (local/external) NTP network address(es) in priority order (or round-robin?)
		NTP1.local
		NTP2.local

Consequently, I think that  there should be three distinct variables to cover all plausible cases

Given the above, it would be unwise and impractical to try to create an exhaustive set of combined enumerations that cover all the prioritization possibilities (e.g. NTP, falling back to GPS, falling back to Heartbeat, ... (at least 23 other combinations)).
Instead the  desired value(s), in clear priority order, can be set on each of three configuration Variables of the "Clock" Component, using the Variable instance keying mechanism, and the canonical representation rules for integer numeric keyed instance representation:

	Clock.TimeSources[1]=NTP
	Clock.TimeSources[2]=GPS
	Clock.TimeSources[3]=MobileData
	Clock.TimeSources[4]=Heartbeat