Subject: RE: [odata] "Temporary files" folder

Good feedback. I will raise this question at the TC meeting tomorrow and pick a name that does not imply temporality.

Thanks.

From: odata@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:odata@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Robin Cover
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:05 PM
To: Ram Jeyaraman (MS OPEN TECH)
Cc: odata@lists.oasis-open.org; Robin Cover

Hi Ram (and TC).

While I'm not certain about the function of the new Folder named
"Temporary files", I wonder whether that name might convey the
notion of "transient, ephemeral, impermanent, may-be-deleted."

Such interpretation would be unfortunate, since the OASIS rules
and Policies require that resources uploaded to any publication
venue must remain intact and must not be deleted [1].  It's
SOP and good hygiene in most venues, but essential in the
OASIS context based upon the Policy definitions.

So for your consideration, I might encourage adoption of a folder
name like "Proposals" which would not connote possible removal.

I do think you should be able to move resources from the
Folder to some other Folder at a later time, as may be warranted,
and that doing so will not break the link, which is required to
be persistent [2]

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

- Robin Cover

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/people/staff/robin-cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html
Tel: +1 972-296-1783

[1] Resource Permanence
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#resourcePermanence

As part of the OASIS commitment to transparency, openness,
and accountability, resources published in the OASIS
Library, TC Document Repository, and other venues must
not be deleted or otherwise altered. All revisions are
retained. With the exception of resources identified by
"latest version" URI aliases, content instantiated as
regular files and directories must not be over-written,
replaced, renamed, or removed. TC Members are expected
to follow this rule even in cases where a collaboration
tool (by some means) might allow resource deletion.
[OASIS Library: http://docs.oasis-open.org/
TC Document Repository: http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#tc-document-repository ]

[2] URI Persistence
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#URI-persistence

Corollary to Resource Permanence, URIs for published OASIS
resources must be persistent. All resources and the
Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) which establish
mappings from identifiers to resources are permanent.
This rule also applies to any secondary resource identified
by a fragment identifier. Assignment of URIs to resources
is thus considered to be inviolate other than for URI
aliases intentionally associated with variable content.
For all other URIs, no action which severs the relationship
between a URI and the resource may be undertaken.