Subject: RE: [odata] validity of next links in paginated results

OData server driven paging is designed such that the service can encode in the link whatever information it needs to resume from the last read record. Specifying a lifetime implies per-client state is kept on the service, which is something we really want to avoid, and guaranteeing a lifetime leaves it ripe for denial of service attacks.

For these reasons, I would avoid adding such an allowance.

Thanks,

-Mike
-----Original Message-----
From: odata@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:odata@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Stefan Drees
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:23 AM
To: odata@lists.oasis-open.org

Dear all,

by investigating the use of GeoJSON in the current Google Maps Engine API I stumpled upon a Best Practices document, that has the following to say about "Pagination"[1] (w.r.t. the Google Maps Engine API):

"""
Clients should not depend on the size of a page. Specifying
maxResults=1000 does not guarantee that exactly 1000 results will be returned. The number of results may also change between requests.

Your client should detect the presence of a nextPageToken in any response. If present, repeat the request with the addition of a pageToken parameter whose value is the value of nextPageToken.

Any pageToken value is valid for 30 minutes after its construction.
"""

To me this is very close to our specification of client-requested but server-driven paging with the amendment of a guaranteed life-time (automatic server-side resource drop allowance) in the last paragraph (sentence).

Do we have such a (helpful) server-side allowance. It is not of great use with deltas, but with next links in general, isn't it?

What do the others think?