Subject: ODF Adoption TC Call - September 26th 2006 - Minutes

Roll Call
=========

Charles Schulz,         Ars Aperta
Louis Suarez-Potts,     Individual (OpenOffice.org)
Alan Clark,       Novell
Marino Marcic,          ODF Alliance
Gary Edwards,           OpenDocument Foundation
Martha Mealy,           IBM
Alan Milnes,            IBM

In the absence of both Don and Erwin Charles Schulz took the chair.

Minutes
=======

Minutes of the meeting on 19th September were approved.

ODF Focus Area on XML.org
=========================

It was agreed that Marino would publicise any upcoming events on the ODF
Alliance website, if possible he would provide a RSS feed so we could
mirror that on our website.  Rob's paper on an OpenDocument Developers
Toolkit needed higher profile - Martha would ask Carol to put this on the
front page.

OpenOffice.org Conference recap
===============================

Conference was a success but highlighted need to focus on ODF Compliance /
fidelity of data when using various tools.  We agreed to discuss this via
the list and decide if we wanted it as a future agenda item.

ODF in France
===========

A small task force had been set up to advocate the use of ODF in France as
there was a lot of political pressure for government agencies not to
switch.  Need to get Erwin's paper issued before mid-October, Charles to
email Carol and ask for guidance on what is required to get this issued and
what restrictions on use there may be.

Round Table
===========

Gary reported that Microsoft were pushing for their ISO submission behind
the banner of interoperability.

Gary also discussed the costs of migrating from proprietary formats and
wondered how the benefits of eliminating this lock-in were reflected in
recent studies. He also mentioned that the deployment of Open Office could
best be achieved as part of a broader re-engineering however there were
substantial barriers when looking at the link from Microsoft Office onto
Windows Live etc.  It was agreed to discuss this at a future meeting with a
view to coming up with a strategy.

A question was raised as to what exactly constitutes "interoperability",
the EC had looked at this and it was agreed this needed further work to
ensure it was used correctly.

The meeting was adjourned at this stage.

Regards,

Alan Milnes
IT Architect
Outsourcing Infrastructure Solutions
Service Delivery Operations
IT Delivery Operations (UK, Ireland and South Africa)
IBM Global Technology Services, EMEA

Tel: (+44) [0] 7764-660 709 (Mobex: 272952)
Internet: milnea@uk.ibm.com