Subject: [Fwd: [com] The war about document formats in Denmark is heavy fire]

FYI...

--
Charles-H. Schulz,
Associé / Associate
Ars Aperta.

--- Begin Message ---
Here is a short summary from your local 'war correspondent'.

Read more on my blog: http://lodahl.blogspot.com/

Last summer the parliament (Folketinget) agreed on a resolution (B 103)
proposing that Denmark should use open standard formats in public
governement. This resolution was proposed by the opposition.

In february the The Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation
revealed the implementation plan for B 103. This plan consist of several
implementations including standard formats for documents. The plan
defines open standards quite close to what we normaly do:
...that a standard is open implies that:
- the standard must be fully documented and publicly available,
- the standard must be freely implementable without economic, political
or legal constraints on its implementation and use, now or in the
future, and
- the standard should be managed and maintained in an open forum via an
open process (standardization organization).

But in the implementation plan is given a choice: ODF or Office OpenXML.
It is very important to remember that the resolution was proposed by the
opposition and that the governement actually don't like it.

The democratical process in Denmark has given everybody the chance to
answer to this implementation plan.

Several answers has been given so far:
 From a group of NGOs (including DA.OpenOffice.org), OSL (The Danish
Open Source Business Association) known from the famous Ramboell report
and Danish IT-Political Organisation.

The answers given so far is basicly to two things:
1) Why do we need two standards ? One is enough
2) How can Office OpenXML be classified as 'open' when we know that
there are several dependencies indicating that the format is NOT an open
standard.

The war continues.