Subject: proposed ODF Camp schedule

Hello all,

Please review the below. I've doubled the focus of the event--actual
interoperability issues and future guidelines.

Note, because we are presuming that vendors will be doing homework in
advance of the camp, we will have to ask the would-be participants to
indicate their intentions at least two weeks prior to the camp. No
laggards allowed, though newbies, yes, provided they come to the
sessions prepared.

<proposal>
Proposed schedule for ODF Camp.

This inaugural ODF Camp will focus on interoperability among ODF
implementations. The "ODF" refers of course to the OpenDocument
Format, and the matters at hand, resolving differences among
implementations and establishing guidelines for future
interoperability, is vital to the format's continuing success.  We
anticipate that this camp will be but the first in a series.  There
will also not be nearly enough time to do what we would want, and so
we will start before the actual camp commences.

*Three weeks prior to the camp we will send out (or otherwise make
available for downloading) 2 PDF files illustrating sample documents.
Upon receipt, each participant would attempt to replicate that
document to the best of their application's abilities. They would
then save the document in ODF format. They would have two weeks in
which to do this.

An example document might be to replicate the first page of this PDF:
https://www.socialsecurity.be/foreign/en/employer_limosa/infos/
documents/pdf/act_mb_28122006.pdf .

* Depending on the complexity of the document and the time allowed,
we will send out several documents, each highlighting a different
issue. We would provide annotation explicating some likely overlooked
points the vendors should attend to.

* A week before the camp, vendors would send in their ODF files for
further redistribution to the others. [Suggestions on the technology
to be used?]  All vendors will therefore have the time prior to the
camp to review the differences in ODF implementation among the
various vendors. The camp itself will then focus on identifying, in
detail, the problems and, if possible, resolving them.

Below is the schedule of the day.  Prior to the actual camp we will
send out PDF files

* Keynote: Stating the problem of interoperability for users [I have
it now at 45 minutes but given the nature of this event, shortening
it to 30 plus qs. seems  reasonable.]

Morning sessions:

We have set aside two morning and two afternoon sessions, but we want
the structure to be fluid and accommodating to the needs at hand.
Nevertheless, the morning sessions will focus on demonstrating and
identifying implementation differences.  We envision that vendors
would demonstrate the idiosyncrasies of their implementation,
explaining the issues encountered in the files creation. In this
manner we could work through the array of files, noting new problems
in detail per implementation.

Lunch

Afternoon sessions

These sessions are meant for coding fixes, if possible, and for
demonstrating solutions.  The wrap-up session at the end will give us
the occasion to discuss our next steps, as well as the feasibility of
establishing guidelines for future implementation interoperability.

</proposal>

If this is okay, let's finalize it (remove brackets, etc.) and
publish it on OOo site, as well as on the ODF site.

best
louis