Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Draft agenda for Thursday

Hi Nathaniel,

Here is a tweaked version of the powerpoint presentation you gave to OASIS and an accessible html version which is simple enough for Raman to parse in EmacSpeak. Please let me know how you want to fit it in to the agenda - or not. We can remove parts. Note: I don't have cycles for massive edits between now and the meeting.

(See attached file: ODFRequirements20060124.ppt)(See attached file: ODF Requirements.html)

Cheers,
Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Emerging Technologies
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441
schwer@us.ibm.com, Phone: 512-838-4593,T/L: 678-4593, mobile: 512-876-9689

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost

Inactive hide details for Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>

          Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>

          01/24/2006 02:02 PM

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

cc

Nathaniel S Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS, office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject

Re: [office-accessibility] Draft agenda for Thursday

Hi Rich,

> Also, we need to get the members of the disability community on board.
> Peter, I am working to get Raman on board. Would you work with Yanina
> or her delegate to get on board please? That PDF form is frustrating
> because it requires a signature as well.

I've already sent a note to both Janina (note spelling) and also Jerry
Berrier.  When I spoke with both of them a couple of weeks ago neither
was aware that they ball was in their court to move forward.

Nat - according to the webpage
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/event.php?event_id=10638
the information about the meeting is public.  Any reason Janina and
Jerry (and Raman) can't just call in and participate?  They wouldn't
have formal status, but we can give full deference to their comments.

Peter

> Rich
>

> Rich Schwerdtfeger
> Distinguished Engineer, SWG Accessibility Architect/Strategist
> Emerging Technologies
> Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
> blog:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441
> schwer@us.ibm.com, Phone: 512-838-4593,T/L: 678-4593, mobile: 512-876-9689
>
> "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
> I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the
> difference.", Frost
>
> Inactive hide details for Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>Peter Korn
> <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>
>

>                         *Peter Korn <Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>*
>
>                         01/24/2006 01:20 PM

> Nathaniel S Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS
>
> cc
>
> office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org
>
> Subject
>
> Re: [office-accessibility] Draft agenda for Thursday
>

> Hi Nat, gang,
>
> I think this is a good agenda.  I would insert something between I and
> II -> some introduction of what ODF is and is not, and discussion of the
> scope of our work.  Especially if we have folks from the disability
> community who aren't steeped in technology on board at this point, I
> think this sort of preparatory work would be important (and to solicit
> at least discussion on the scope part).  And speaking of that, who do we
> have at this point?
>

> Regards,
>
> Peter
> > With lots of input from Rich Schwerdtfeger, here's a proposed agenda
> > for Thursday's call.  Comments welcome!
> >
> > I.  Introductions
> > II.  Goals/requirements
> >         -- to match MS Office accessibility
> >         -- to surpass MS Office accessibility
> > III.  Time frame (deadlines)
> > IV.  Document editor(s) (seeking volunteers)
> > V.  Who else should we get to join?
> > VI.  Use cases, esp. for presentations
> > VII.  XForms accessibility issues
> >
> > Let me know if you have any suggested changes.  -- Nathaniel

GIF image

ODFRequirements20060124.ppt

Title: ODF Requirements

Slide 1: Introduction: Oasis TC Requirements for ODF Accessibility

Slide 2: Form Accessibility Analysis Sub-team - ODF

Slide 3: Accessibility Requirements Basic Principles

Slide 4: Accessibility Requirements: Trumping Proprietary Office Formats

Slide 5: API Efforts Exterior to Oasis

  • IBM Workplace has built accessibility API extensions for Workplace documents
  • Extend API to ensure leveraging new ODF accessibility extensions
  • Ensure features adopted by FSG for Linux
  • Deliver Documentation to industry

  • Slide 6: ODF Assessment - Very Early (separator slide)

    Slide 7: Checklist based on WCAG 1.0

    WCAG 1.0 Microsoft Office OpenOffice.org ODF
    1.1 Alt Text for non-text element Yes Insufficient Insufficient
    1.2 Alt Text for Image Map Not Supported Yes Yes
    3.4 Relative font size No Yes Yes
    3.5 Heading Yes Yes Yes
    3.6 List structure Yes Yes Yes
    4.1 Changes in natural language Yes Yes Yes
    5.1 Table header No No Yes
    9.4 Logical tab order No Yes (Forms), No (Drawings) Yes (Forms), No (Drawings)
    12.3 Divide large blocks into groups Yes Insufficient Insufficient
    12.4 Label Association No Yes (Forms), No (Drawings) Yes (Forms), No (Drawings)
    13.1 Link identification Insufficient Insufficient Insufficient<

    Slide 8-9 Alternative text for Non-Text elements

    Object MS PowerPoint Impress ODF
    Image Yes No (Not yet) Yes
    Line and Arrow Yes No No
    Rectangle and Circle Yes No No
    Auto Shape Yes No No
    3D Shape Yes No No
    Grouped Object Yes No No
    Image Map Not Supported Yes Yes

    Suggestions to address Alternative text for non-text elements:

    Slide 10-11: Grouping in presentation

    Object MS PowerPoint Impress ODF
    Text Box Yes Yes Yes
    List Yes Yes Yes
    Grouping Yes Yes Yes
    Table Yes No No
    Suggesion: ODF should support table in presentation

    The ODF 1.0 specification, under chapter 8 tables, describes tables that are embedded in text documents and spreadsheets. This should read table embedded in text documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. This has been a problem for documents converted from PowerPoint to Impress.

    Slides 12-13: Link Identification

    Identification
    MS Word
    MS Excel
    MS PowerPoint
    Writer
    Calc
    Impress
    ODF
    Hint Text for Hyperlink Yes No No

    OpenDocument Specification v1.0 Reference: 5.1.4 Hyperlinks. WCAG 1.0 checkpoint 13.1 states that link identification is a P2. The suggestion would be for ODF to support hint in hypertext:
     (text hyperlink) should have the element such as  which represents hint text for hyperlink.

    Slides 14-15: Logical Tab Order

    Order
    MS Office OpenOffice.org ODF
    Z order Yes Yes Yes
    Tab order No Yes (Forms), No (Drawings) Yes (Forms), No (Drawings)

    OpenDocument Specification v1.0 Reference: Chapter 11, 11.5.15 Tab Index. The following is suggested:

    Slides 16-17:  Label Association

    MS Office OpenOffice.org ODF
    Label Association No Yes (Forms(, No (Drawings) Yes (Forms), No (Drawings)

    ODF 1.0 Reference: Chapter 11, 11.5.9 Label

    Screen readers cannot recognize the association between a text element and a non-text element without an explicit association. WCAG 1.0 section 12.4 treats explicit label associations with their controls as a priority 2.

    Slide 18: What needs to be done?