Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Minutes: February 10 Accessibility SubteamMeeting

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost

Nathaniel S Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS wrote on 02/13/2006 10:10:08 AM:

> Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM wrote on 02/12/2006 10:19:22 AM:
>
> > It also means that we may need to define navigation spots within
> > presentations. For example, the markup should allow the author to define a
> > tab sequence much the same way that HTML does. What the keyboard mappings
> > are, etc. are not the scope of the group.
>
> Yes, you are of course correct.
>
> > Nathaniel, I have not been following the entire ODF TC efforts but I would
> > assume there are mobile implications for ODF as well.  I believe we would
> > also like to ensure device independence.
>
> I believe that is one of the general goals of ODF.  However, I've
> been working under the assumption that not every device will need
> its software to provide the same level of accessibility to ODF
> documents.  Mobile devices are not likely to be terribly important
> for those who are bedridden or paralyzed, while heads-up displays
> for vehicle drivers probably needn't worry about users who are too
> vision-impaired to drive.  So basically what I'm saying is that I
> see these as largely independent topics, but please correct me if
> I've missed something.  -- Nathaniel

Well, there will be a need for this at some point. There is limted AT vendors support. I know of one company that wants
to provide an accessible solution for ODF on a PDA/phone but I am not at liberty to say who. What I was getting at is we need
to address device independence - specifically because the device may be one which does not have a keyboard. Our navigation
markup should be device independent. I believe we are on the same page.