Subject: Re: MediaObject Proposal for LongDesc

On 10/03/06, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave, Chieko,
>
>  I read this and see value in it but it does not fully address an interoperability problem with Accessibility APIs.
>
>  In MSAA, Java, or ATK on Gnome there is the notion of an accessibleName an AccessibleDescription. Description would provide the equivalent of longdesc. It provides additional verbose text to the user when asked. However, normally, while navigating a document a short name would be provided and that is the accessibleName. This can be announced quickly to facilitate rapid audio navigation.

>  So, I would think you would want title to be included for this as well:
>

>  <define name="med-frame">

>      <optional>
>        <ref name="svg-title"/>
>      </optional>
>      <optional>

>  </define>
>

>  Comments?

If I'm right, you've added svg:title to one media?

IMHO that compounds the confusion issue?
1. svg:desc doesn't meet your description of 'additional verbose text
to the user when asked. ' (I assume verbose needs structure - am I
alone in this?)
2. It leaves svg:title, svg:desc, caption which I think a user would
find confusing.
3. It omits comment on other media. Did you intend this to be applicable
to any media Rich?

I guess we are all going in the same direction - just needs the scope
agreement (single media or all with alternatives), and the issue of
structured vs no structure in longdesc.

Peter mentioned his discomfort using svg for all media last night.
That's a side issue
waiting to bite. I think it's inappropriate for non vector graphic media.

Do we have time to submit a proposal (with gui implications)
on multiple media options, prior to June?
Or should we simply keep to getting one media right?
Chieko focussed on the svg elements (why can't we have the svg:g element
to group them, then add short and longdesc to that group, rather than
to individual lines!), Rich is using audio as his example.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.