Subject: mediaObject element

Hi Dave,

I have pulled your proposal and Chieko's below.

For a given media object you have defined one or more alternatives. What is not clear is which one is the default and how is this applied to a drawing object. For example, if we have a rectangle do we need to apply a media object to supply alternative video.  ... just trying to get on the same page.

Another concer is that if we introduce video we now have to introduce SMIL captioning so it will get complicated fast.

To me it looks like we will have some combination of the what you and Chieko have proposed.

BTW - here is the media type reference: http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/ used by the W3C.

(See attached file: proposal-alt-texts.odt)(See attached file: proposal-alt-texts.html)

So, to me the question is where to we really need the multiple media types. When we have a presentation. In a presentation I have not seen the need for alternative video for a rectangle in a draw-frame.

I would like to get the issue of alt text addressed quickly as we have lots of other issues to address that are more difficult. ... like relationships and presentation navigation with the keyboard.

Inactive hide details for "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

          "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>

          03/03/2006 03:01 AM

office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org

cc

Subject

[office-accessibility] Proposal. mediaObject element.

Attached, initial proposal for a syntax for mediaObject.
Also inline

Issues:

I do not know the mime-types well enough to be explicit for audio, video etc
so I have used a general reference to the rfc.
I'm not sure if my naming conventions match those in use in office,
but I have no issue with the syntax changes there.

Comments will be appreciated.

<grammar xmlns="
http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"
datatypeLibrary="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes"
xmlns:office="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:1.0"
xmlns:style="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:style:1.0"
xmlns:text="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:text:1.0"
xmlns:draw="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:drawing:1.0"
xmlns:xlink="
http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
xmlns:dc="
http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
xmlns:meta="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:meta:1.0"
xmlns:number="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:datastyle:1.0"
xmlns:svg="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:svg-compatible:1.0"
xmlns:chart="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:chart:1.0"
xmlns:dr3d="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:dr3d:1.0"
xmlns:math="
http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"

xmlns:html="
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
xmlns:med="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:media:1.0"

 <!-- Root for any media object-->
 <start>
   <ref name="Mediaobject"/>
 </start>

<define name="med-mediaobject">
 <element name="med:mediaObject">
   <oneOrMore>
     <ref name="med-imageobject"/>
     <ref name="med-textobject"/>
     <ref name="med-audioobject"/>
     <ref name="med-videoobject"/>
   </oneOrMore>
 </element>
</define>

<!-- Basic image.  -->
<define name="med-imageobject">
 <element name="med:imageObject">
   <ref name="draw-frame"/>
 </element>
</define>

<!-- Basic text alternative form.
Reduced version of text-content.
Is text-box needed ? -->
<define name="med-textobject">
 <element name="med:textObject">
   <ref name="text-content-reduced"/>
 </element>
</define>

<!-- General text descriptor. Reduced general text-content -->

<define name="text-content-reduced">
 <choice>
   <ref name="text-h"/>
   <ref name="text-p"/>
   <ref name="text-list"/>
   <ref name="text-numbered-paragraph"/>
   <ref name="text-section"/>
   <ref name="change-marks"/>
 </choice>
</define>

<!-- Basic audio alternative -->
<define name="med-audioobject">
 <ref name="med-frame"/>
</define>

<!-- Basic video alternative -->
<define name="med-videoobject">
 <ref name="med-frame"/>
</define>

<!-- Modified draw-frame -->
<!-- Used for audio and video -->

<define name="med-frame">
 <element name="med:audio-frame">
   <ref name="common-draw-shape-with-text-and-styles-attlist"/>
   <ref name="common-draw-position-attlist"/>
   <ref name="common-draw-rel-size-attlist"/>
   <ref name="presentation-shape-attlist"/>
   <ref name="draw-frame-attlist"/>
   <element name="med:src">
     <ref name="common-draw-data-attlist"/>
     <ref name="Mime-types"/>
     <!-- Enable parameterisation of objects -->
     <ref name="draw-param"/>
   </element>
   <optional>
     <ref name="office-event-listeners"/>
   </optional>
   <zeroOrMore>
     <ref name="draw-glue-point"/>
   </zeroOrMore>
   <optional>
     <ref name="draw-image-map"/>
   </optional>
   <optional>
     <ref name="svg-desc"/>
   </optional>
   <optional>
     <choice>
<ref name="draw-contour-polygon"/>
<ref name="draw-contour-path"/>
     </choice>
   </optional>
 </element>
</define>

addition, the media-type attribute must have the value of the
IANA-registered MIME media type for that type of file, if one exists
(see RFC 2048 for information on the registration process for MIME
media types). If no MIME media type has been registered for the file
type, then the MIME media type recommended in the applicable standard
for that file type must be used. If there is no standard MIME media
type for the file, then an appropriate "x-" MIME media type must be
used, following the rules of RFC 2046. In the case of WAV files, this
standard mandates the use of the media type value
"audio/x-wav".</html:p>

<define name="Mime-types">
 <attribute name="mime-type">
   <data type="String"/>
 </attribute>
</define>

</grammar>

regards
--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost

GIF image

proposal-alt-texts.odt

Proposal for Short and Long Alternative Texts

Chieko Asakawa - IBM

March 9th, 2006.

Table of Contents

Proposal for Short and Long Alternative Texts 1

1 Issue: Lack of Long Description 1

2 Difference between the Original SVG and the SVG Namespace of ODF 1

3 Suggestion 2

4 Proposal of Schema Modification 3

1 Issue: Lack of Long Description

In general, alternative texts are defined as “short” description for non text elements. ODF defines <svg:desc> for this purpose.

However, it is required to provide additional detailed descriptions for complicated charts, graphics and embedded objects. So, HTML has two types of alternative text.

  • alt” - short description for non text elements

  • longdesc” - complete description for non text elements

longdesc” can provide an additional description for complex content where “alt” is not sufficient.

ODF does not have an element, which corresponds to then longdesc.

OpenDocument Specification v1.0, Section 9.3.9

The <svg:desc> element specifies an alternative text as specified in §5.4 of [SVG].”

ODF Schema (OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng)

<define name="svg-desc">

<element name="svg:desc">

<text/>

</element>

</define>

2 Difference between the Original SVG and the SVG Namespace of ODF

Alternative text

Long description

SVG

<title>

<desc>

SVG in ODF

<svg:desc>

-

Table 1: Comparison of alternative text function

SVG Specification 1.1, Section 5.4 (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#DescriptionAndTitleElements)

Each container element or graphics element in an SVG drawing can supply a ‘desc’ and/or a ‘title’ description string where the description is text-only.”

Usage of these two element is described in the document, “Accessibility Feature of SVG”.

Accessibility Feature of SVG, Section 2.1 (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/#Equivalent)

title : Provides a human-readable title for the element that contains it.”

desc : Provides a longer more complete description of an element that contains it.”

3 Suggestion

  • Modify ODF schema by following the original SVG specification

    • Change definition of <svg:desc> in ODF as “long description”

    • Add <svg:title> to ODF as alternative texts

  • Add guideline to ODF specification

Example:

<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Object1" text:anchor-type="paragraph" svg:width="12.573cm" svg:height="11.001cm" draw:z-index="0">

<draw:object xlink:href=""./Object" 1" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad" />

<draw:image xlink:href=""./ObjectReplacements/Object" 1" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad" />

<svg:title>Graph representing rainfall amount in Tokyo</svg:title>

<svg:desc>Rainfall amount in Tokyo dropped in August, that is the smallest amount in these ten years. However on the other months, the amount is higher than last year.</svg:desc>

</draw:frame>

OpenDocument Specification v1.0, Section 9.3.9

9.3.9 Alternative Text - CURRENT

The <svg:desc> element specifies an alternative text as specified in §5.4 of [SVG].”

PROPOSAL

Provide alternative text for non text element by using <svg:title>. And for providing a longer more complete description, use the element <svg:desc> as specified in §5.4 of [SVG].”

4 Proposal of Schema Modification

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 6612

<define name="draw-frame">

<element name="draw:frame">

<ref name="common-draw-shape-with-text-and-styles-attlist"/>

<ref name="common-draw-position-attlist"/>

<ref name="common-draw-rel-size-attlist"/>

<ref name="presentation-shape-attlist"/>

<ref name="draw-frame-attlist"/>

<zeroOrMore>

<choice>

<ref name="draw-text-box"/>

<ref name="draw-image"/>

<ref name="draw-object"/>

<ref name="draw-object-ole"/>

<ref name="draw-applet"/>

<ref name="draw-floating-frame"/>

<ref name="draw-plugin"/>

</choice>

</zeroOrMore>

<optional>

<ref name="office-event-listeners"/>

</optional>

<zeroOrMore>

<ref name="draw-glue-point"/>

</zeroOrMore>

<optional>

<ref name="draw-image-map"/>

</optional>

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-title"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-desc"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<choice>

<ref name="draw-contour-polygon"/>

<ref name="draw-contour-path"/>

</choice>

</optional>

</element>
</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 6919

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<define name="svg-title">

<element name="svg:title">

<text/>

</element>

</define>

<define name="svg-desc">

<element name="svg:desc">

<text/>

</element>

</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 6987

<define name="draw-area-rectangle">

<element name="draw:area-rectangle">

<ref name="common-draw-area-attlist"/>

<attribute name="svg:x">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:y">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:width">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:height">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-title"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-desc"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="office-event-listeners"/>

</optional>

</element>

</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 7010

<define name="draw-area-circle">

<element name="draw:area-circle">

<ref name="common-draw-area-attlist"/>

<attribute name="svg:cx">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:cy">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:r">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-title"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-desc"/>

</optional>

<optional>

<ref name="office-event-listeners"/>

</optional>

</element>

</define>

  • OpenDocument-schema-v1.0-os.rng, Line number : 7030

<define name="draw-area-polygon">

<element name="draw:area-polygon">

<ref name="common-draw-area-attlist"/>

<attribute name="svg:x">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:y">

<ref name="coordinate"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:width">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<attribute name="svg:height">

<ref name="length"/>

</attribute>

<ref name="common-draw-viewbox-attlist"/>

<ref name="common-draw-points-attlist"/>

<a:documentation>proposal</a:documentation>

<optional>

<ref name="svg-title"/>

</optional>

<optional>