Subject: Re: mediaObject element

>  For a given media object you have defined one or more alternatives. What is not clear is which one is the default and how is this applied to a drawing object. For example, if we have a rectangle do we need to apply a media object to supply alternative video.  ... just trying to get on the same page.

Right. Now (IMHO) we are into the user preferences.
If I'm presented with a media object, I should be able to set my
preference cascade.
video, image, audio, text.
If multiple are offered they are presented in that order of preference.

>  Another concer is that if we introduce video we now have to introduce SMIL captioning so it will get complicated fast.

I'm hoping captioning wouldn't be necessary - but I'll stand corrected
on that. I.e.
prove me wrong!
If the text object and the video object are semantically equivalent,
then a non photon
user would simply pick up the audio (or text, according to his or her
preference).

Does that make sense?

>  To me it looks like we will have some combination of the what you and Chieko have proposed.

The time constraints may make this necessary - in which case my prior comments
stand re Chieko's proposal?

regards

--
Dave Pawson