Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] proposal

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 03/17/2006 02:27:10 AM:

Low and behold I have was able to group drawing objects in .odt files. Like presentations, the <draw:g> element is used.

Here is an abridged snippet from what I am attaching:

<text:p text:style-name="Standard">Hello world. The time is now to come to the aid of the country.</text:p>
  <text:p text:style-name="Standard" />
- <text:p text:style-name="Standard">

  </draw:frame>

> >  ... but let's look at writer with embedded ui
> >
> What's your definition of 'embedded ui' Rich?
>

> >  OK. I see no connectors in writer (.odt) files.
> >
> >  So, in this example we have caption text which is associated with
> an ellipse:
>
> Heck I'd even question that Rich. 'associated'? It's not in XML terms.
> I'd expect
> <ellipse ...>
> <caption>... </caption>
> </ellipse>
> If it were closely related XML wise, or at least the two elements
> within a common anchor.

Well you won't get any disagreement from me there. What can I say - I didn't design it. :-)
They are using a text sequence and not a caption per the spec.

> A simple view of writer vector graphics is
> frame
>   item
>   item
>   item
> /frame
>
> I.e. Its a loose collection within the frame? No clear grouping, thecaption is
> the last text node of the frame I believe. Its structurally not verycohesive.
>

> >      I would imagine the same thing would apply here.
> I've found no grouping in writer documents for graphic elements.
>
> > Is there a case in a drawing within a .odt document where the
> author might not want to show a visible caption?
>
> Up to the author. I personally wouldn't use one if I didn't want to see one.
> I'm basing my reasoning on what we see in the wild on alt text for images.

So, we agree that structurally captions are poorly implemented. When I went to apply the caption the caption was stuck
outside the draw group - which annoyed me to no end and in fact then it was not a caption but a text sequence. A semantic
mess. So, we have a couple of options as I see it for captions I will throw out:

- put a role of caption on the text sequence.
- define a caption element to be embedded within a drawing object/group and reference the text sequence.

thoughts?

(See attached file: odtgroup.odt)

> regards
>
> --