Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] proposal

>  ... but let's look at writer with embedded ui

What's your definition of 'embedded ui' Rich?

>  OK. I see no connectors in writer (.odt) files.
>
>  So, in this example we have caption text which is associated with an ellipse:

Heck I'd even question that Rich. 'associated'? It's not in XML terms.
I'd expect
<ellipse ...>
<caption>... </caption>
</ellipse>
If it were closely related XML wise, or at least the two elements
within a common anchor.

A simple view of writer vector graphics is
frame
  item
  item
  item
/frame

I.e. Its a loose collection within the frame? No clear grouping, the caption is
the last text node of the frame I believe. Its structurally not very cohesive.

>      I would imagine the same thing would apply here.
I've found no grouping in writer documents for graphic elements.

> Is there a case in a drawing within a .odt document where the author might not want to show a visible caption?

Up to the author. I personally wouldn't use one if I didn't want to see one.
I'm basing my reasoning on what we see in the wild on alt text for images.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.