Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] minutes 060615 draft 2 for comment

Date: 2006-06-15T15:0:00.0Z
Date: 2006-06-16T08:47:35.0Z

  • Mike Paciello
  • Hironobu Takagi

Apologies

  • Janina Sajka
  • Tatsuya Ishihara
Scribe(s): Dave Pawson

Agenda

Item. Roll Call

Item. TC Status Review & Feedback on ODF 1.1 Accessibility requirements

Item. Planning for ODF 1.2 (time frame, additions, etc.)

Item. Mediaobject proposal from Dave P

Item. RNIB plans for writer conversion to DAISY

Item. Gathering of use cases for Presentations - Associated work going on in Free Standards Group to address presentations

Item. Planning/Discussion Developer Guidelines

Item. Soft/hard page break issue from (Dave P)

Item. Nested list markup issue from Dave P

Item.

1  TC Status Review & Feedback on ODF 1.1 Accessibility requirements

DISCUSSION: RS. In review. Bruce D'Arcus working on caption with DaveP. Wants to link with metadata work.

  • PK. I sent a report to the list from recent TC meeting. Concern was that there is no XML spec for soft page breaks. A schema today or tomorrow please Dave?.
  • DP. Use of attribute on existing page break would suffice.
  • PK. Send to main list, as approved by this group? That way we could move timeline up.
  • RS.Could we add this to our existing input? Helps with product group.
  • PK. Is saving a couple of weeks that significant?
  • ?? Should it be an incremental change or a new proposal. This sounds like an addition of a section. TC could easily consume the difference.
  • NB. Anything further? Could we give the document to implementers?
  • DC. Are we OK to give it to implementers when it's incomplete?
  • PK. We say to implementers this is a draft, but to meet deadlines is very nearly there.

2  Planning for ODF 1.2 (time frame, additions, etc.)

DISCUSSION: NB. Recap on timeframe + goals. TC blessing on 1.2 by June 07. Get our input to them by April 07, that is 10 months work.

  • ?? What does TC have for 1.2?
  • NB. Interest is in metadata,
  • PK. Could we get Bruce on the call? Also relationships are good for review, e.g. for spreadsheets in 1.2.
  • NB. Metadata for broad use. RDF and Bibliographies could be on the list.
  • NB. Rob Weir in IBM is on metadata group. RS will talk to him.
  • NB. Priorities?
  • PK. Accessibility guide. Also minutes from Edinburgh as other material. E.g. Presentations, more table work. May require more work than our scope alone can cover. E.g. table work.
  • CA. Presentations, diagrams etc. I have a proposal. (CA - please re-send the proposal to list)
  • DC. Use of Dublin Core? What has Accessibility information embedded?
  • DP. Any metadata set could be used if RDF is used.
  • RS. Not used in terms of content, but in a way used, yes. WAI uses role attribute which is a QNAME referring to a taxonomy. This could be re-used. Current taxonomy is on subject of GUI and support of AJAX. Possible use on forms, if dynamic. Taxonomy is on WAI PF page, could go to TR page on W3C page to make it public. Role attribute currently used, from XHTML module. States and properties (has its own Schema), may be added.
  • DP. Could extend the current usage, with a new taxonomy. Makes a good start for 07 timeframe.
  • RS. Could a combined effort, metadata and Accessible web content be used?
  • DC. Likely use of dynamic web app in an ODF application? Yes.
  • PK. We can do forms, edit html, do the TC envision more complex interactive documents?
  • CA points to Oasis wiki
  • PK. How complex must it be before its called dynamic? E.g. a database behind a table, compare with interactive where web app is updating content.
  • MT. This has not yet been seen.
  • PK. How much is a result of the document. How much the application? It is different to a web client.
  • RS. If declarative events, javascript in the document, expanded data model etc, then lots more interactivity.
  • NB. Table proposal should be high priority for 1.2.
  • RS. Powerpoint file producing rectangles from tables, needs a lot of work.
  • PK. Need to differentiate 'real' tables from graphics, address real header usage. Good usage of metadata. Never been realised for spreadsheets. Making complex tables more useful.
  • RS. The Metadata work makes it common with ours.
  • NB. process plans need working. How to divide these into projects to bring back to the committee.
  • PK. I like the idea of early input, e.g. it was very helpful to have CA review. These in support of face to face meeting. We should have subcommittee type preparation in hand, rather than a blue sky meeting.
  • NB. Prepare proposals for review prior to meeting?
  • PK. Detail, but easier if we can piggyback on an existing meeting. For budget reasons etc.
  • NB. If we settle on a project list for a first pass by a date, then look for appropriate meeting dates. E.g. late Sept, early October 06?
  • PK. Accessibility Guidelines document. It is key for our companies, but also for other apps that read and write ODF. Not specially for end users, but expresses important things for accessibility.
  • NB. Are our developers the audience or end users?
  • RS. We have an opportunity to get ahead, Guideline document could help people product accessible documents.
  • DC. End users(authors) also need to know how to make documents accessible, with the help of the implementors and software manufacturers.
  • NB. We also need people to volunteer on some of these topics. Need leads on these.
  • PK. I'd like to use the list and next couple meetings to gather requirements for guide. We need list of topics. Then get someone to produce outline.
  • RS. Want more information on metadata.
  • PK. Want an updated document for requirement one. Also for implementors. @FIXME - Peter, what was this please?
  • PK. Is IBM close to making extensions available for testing? (a-doc).
  • CA. Not quite yet.

Action item: Send proposal to list

Who? CA

Due date: ASAP