Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Fw: Edited Draft of ODF Accessibility Guidelines

Some comments on Mak's comments.

I believe the wording Mak suggests is a good idea in order to address a broader audience.

Section 1.2.2.3 - It is a caret and not a cursor. On most systems the cursor is the mouse pointer.

Section 1.2.2.4 -

People with minor physical impairments have a variety of issues that prevent them from using the full keyboard or mouse easily. In order to support such users, complete ODF application usage and document manipulation should be possible ?? user friendly ?? without using the mouse.

Suggested rewording to reflect WCAG 2.0:

People with minor physical impairments have a variety of issues that prevent them from using the full keyboard or mouse easily. In order to support such users, all functionality of the content is operable in a non-time-dependent manner through a keyboard interface, except where the task requires analog, time-dependent input.

Section 1.2.2.5

Suggest rewording: Advanced on-screen keyboard software can actually extract the menu structure of the ODF application, the toolbar elements, and even the 'manipulable user?? user friendly?? interface elements' and place them on the software “keyboard” where the user can choose them.

To: Advanced on-screen keyboard software can actually provide remote access to accessible menus, toolbar elements, and other UI componentry on the software “keyboard” where the user can choose them.

I don't understand what Mak means by ?? “randomly” can be an appropriate word??

Section 1.2.2.6

Here is a reference for ASR: http://www.netac.rit.edu/publication/asr.html

Section 2.1

Common keystrokes Windows XP: http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/PublicWebsite/public_rnib003585.hcsp
common keystrokes Macintosh: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

There should be one on the Gnome site - Can't find it.

Section 2.3

Ineroperaability is a commonly used term.

Author of this section should fill in the API piece.

This bug showed up again in open office 3.2.5 A few examples

Section 4.2.2

Figure X Visual Rendering of an ODF list

Section 4.2.3

The standard landmark of contentinfo - Do not accept Mak's deletion of info as it is incorrect.

Section 4.2.4

Addressing Mak's comment about meta data. No additional meta data is required as the element presentation:notes constitutes the landmark

Mak introduces a Section 5.3.x but there is not section 5.3

5.3.1 Soft Page Breaks and Hard Page Numbering

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer
Inactive hide details for Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUSRichard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

          Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

          12/07/2006 11:21 AM

office-accessibility@lists.oasis-open.org

cc

Subject

[office-accessibility] Fw: Edited Draft of ODF Accessibility Guidelines

Here is the first pass of edits from Mak, the technical writer. Please review and provide comments. Peter will compile the edits.

Thank you,

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer
----- Forwarded by Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM on 12/07/2006 11:18 AM -----

                  "mike paciello" <mpaciello@paciellogroup.com>

                  12/06/2006 07:26 PM

Please respond to
<mpaciello@paciellogroup.com>

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
cc

<Peter.Korn@Sun.COM>
Subject

Edited Draft of ODF Accessibility Guidelines

Rich/Peter -

Mak sent this to me earlier this morning; I've been in meetings all day and just getting to it now. I've briefly reviewed it; he has edited it extensively. I would suggest that his edits be carefully reviewed to ensure that the technical integrity of the document is preserved. At the same time there are clearly several areas that remain technically incomplete -- are you sure that this draft is ready for submission once the edits have been finalized?

Regards,

Mike

[office-accessibility] No ODF Meeting December 6

There will be no ODF accessibility subcommittee meeting tomorrow. I have not received a document from Mak. and we are waiting on a 1.2 draft.

Mike, any news on the edited draft?

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer(See attached file: ODF_Accessibility_Guidelines_mak_rev_30 Nov_06.odt)(See attached file: ODF_Accessibility_Guidelines_mak_rev_30 Nov_06.odt)

GIF image

ODF_Accessibility_Guidelines_mak_rev_30 Nov_06.odt