Subject: Minutes: June 16 ODF Accessibility Subcommittee

Scribe: Rich

1. Topic: Review June 2 meeting minutes: Minutes are approved.
2. Topic: Is ODF 1.2 ready for review:

Rich: No. We need to look at specific parts of the document and address accessibility issues such as charts.
Rich: Close this action.
Steve: so, no finished formal documents this summer.
Rich: No. looking at public working draft in early fall.

2. Topic: Group review of changes to ODF Accessibility Guidelines (attached)
Pete: I like the format. Section 3.4 is acceptable in terms of general structure.
Steve: Agrees with the format of section 3.4.
RESOLVED: The format of section 3.4 is approved by the group.

3. Topic: Need someone to start looking at the accessibility of ODF 1.2 charts
Rich: we need someone to look at the charts section to see what accessibility issues there are.
Rich: Rob Weir said there was a new chart which we should be looking at.
Rich: We used to be able to get at the actual table.
Pete: Yes, we used to be able to get at the actual table view a key sequence and would show as an accessible spreadsheet table.
ACTION Item: Pete: Look at current drafts and identify chart accessibility issues for the specification and the guidelines and to write proposals if necessary

4.
 Topic: Pete status on table accessibility in ODF 1.2.
Pete: tableissubtable is fixed.
Rich: there was discussion on table in presentations. I am not not sure if it is actually in.
ACTION: Pete follow up on thread to see if a native table was added to draw:frame in the schema.
Rich: we need to determine how support for native tables effects the guidelines. Should we include
backward compatability for ODF 1.1 in the guideines? We could refer back to the ODF 1.0 accessibility
guidelines.

5 Topic: Dynamic update discussion with Rob Weir
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-accessibility/email/archives/200806/msg00018.html

Pete: what are the units?
Rich: They do not say but Rob thought this might be in seconds which means if this is an integer then we have no issues with seizures given that WCAG says 3 times per second or faster is an accessibility problem
ACTION: Steve Noble: ook at formulas specification identify data that would update frequently, such as volatile formula information that would require the Office application to inform the AT of updates sections. Will complete by next meeting.

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-formula/download.php/28483/OpenDocument-formula-20080604.odt

6. Action items (from before)

Janina Field updates

Rich: Janina is not present today and this is not complete.

b. Peter Korn to: provide provide guidelines as to how to provide
tracking information to ATs; and modify guidelines to ensure
applications respond to system font and color settings.
Rich: Peter is absent and we don't know the state of these.

c. Rich Schwerdtfeger to: add wording to the next revision of the
accessibility guidelines to allow control of the animation rate of
images in a presentation
  - in draft sent from Rich (attached)
Rich: Action complete per draft
Rich: Section 3.4.4 is updated in the ODF Accessibility guidelines
Tatuia, Pete, Steve: Are happy with this section.

d. Hiro to provide wording in the to address dynamic, asynchronous
updates There are several topics in the specs related to asynchronous
automatic updates? of contents or values. Automatic updates should be
carefully presented to assistive technologies through accessibility
APIs. Documents are becoming more dynamic- async updates - some
examples: linked tables, database ranges, scritping, text sections, DDE
connections.
  - in draft sent from Rich (attached)
Rich: this is in secttion 3.4.3 of the ODF 1.2 accessibility guidelines
Rich: I believe this section needs work. We need to be more prescriptive
as to how we manage dynamic updates to the document.
ACTION: Tatsui/Hiro work on improving text of this section to indicate
to the office application as to how to notify the AT when changes occur. Also,
since DDE exchanges happen at load time do we need to worry about updates. Finally,
do we need to mark live areas as they are occuring in the background and not in response
to user actions.
ACTION: Pete provide Tatsui, Hiro with events from IAccessible2 and MSAA as examples.

Rich: we did not get through the rest of the agenda.

Summary of action Items:

New:

ACTION: Tatsui/Hiro work on improving text of this section to indicate
to the office application as to how to notify the AT when changes occur. Also,
since DDE exchanges happen at load time do we need to worry about updates. Finally,
do we need to mark live areas as they are occuring in the background and not in response
to user actions.

ACTION: Pete provide Tatsui, Hiro with events from IAccessible2 and MSAA as examples for dynamic updates

ACTION: Pete follow up on thread to see if a native table was added to draw:frame in the schema.

ACTION: Pete: Look at current drafts and identify chart accessibility issues for the specification and the guidelines and to write proposals if necessary

ACTION: Steve Noble: ook at formulas specification identify data that would update frequently, such as volatile formula information that would require the Office application to inform the AT of updates sections. Will complete by next meeting.

Closed:

- Rich to indicate if ODF documents are ready for full review. No. not until the fall

Latest ODF 1.2 Accessibility Guidelines specification attached with section 3.4 on dynamic content

(See attached file: odfguid12-061608.odt)

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

odfguid12-061608.odt