Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Do we need a "decorative" attribute for imagesin ODF?

At the lowest level there is a difference between:

1) An element that contains an attribute "foo" with an empty string "" as
a value

2) An element that does not contain an attribute "foo"

3) An element that does not contain an attribute "foo" where the default
value for foo is ""

However, once the XML is parsed and morphed into the internal object model
of an editor, these three situations are almost always conflated.  So if
you want to make a distinction between implicit versus explicit lack of
alt text, then we probably need another attribute for it.

I assume this would be useful for accessibility proofers as well, e.g.,
don't warn the user about the lack of alt text on this image, since it has
already been declared as decorative.

And as a secondary use, I could imagine a "green" print mode where you
save ink by not printing purely decorative images, and only printing the
content that carries meaning.

-Rob

Malte Timmermann <malte.timmermann@oracle.com> wrote on 10/27/2010
03:41:41 AM:

> [office-accessibility] Do we need a "decorative" attribute for images in
ODF?