Subject: RE: [office-collab] An Abiword / Calligra developer's view of theChange Tracking events.

Hi Ben –

A few comments on your questions below.

> I think perhaps many citations in the extended proposal are to older change tracking rather than the "generic" one.

Indeed, correct.  The extended proposal is intended to consider ways the existing change tracking model that has been in ODF since 1.0 can be extended to cover core cases it does not currently support.

> How closely does the "extended" proposal mirror what is performed by Microsoft Word for non ODF formats? For me, it would be interesting to see how these things play out, and how the user interface offers such functionality in an existing implementation of the "extended" proposal.

Even if that implementation stores in non ODF currently.

Please note that there is not yet a prototype of the extended proposal.  We haven’t jumped the gun to build anything into Word without appropriate discussion and agreement in the SC; that is, Microsoft isn’t attempting to force something we’ve built onto the ODF standard.  I apologize in advance if I misunderstood and that’s not what you were implying, but I do want to make sure that’s clear to everyone.

> As an example, the move content on page 4/19 of the extended proposal mentions that move is currently handled as delete/insert and no link between the two. Clearly in the generic proposal such a link is explicit as mentioned on page 17/23 of the generic proposal.

There is an explicit linkage among the various markup changes that reflect the user action.  Note that the ct:move-insertion and two ct:move-deletions are all under a single text:changed-region.  The text:changed-region is associated with the single user action of move, and the individual markup changes needed to reflect that user action are represented by its child elements ct:move-insertion and ct:move-deletion.  (Note this is logically parallel to, if not exactly equivalent to, the generic proposal’s notion of a change transaction consisting of multiple atomic changes.)  The element names ct:move-insertion and ct:move-deletion also explicitly identify the insertion and deletions as part of a move.  (And for those who were also searching around to find the reference in the generic proposal, it’s §6.10, page 14/20 – the table of contents needs to be updated.)

> Perhaps a more fluid example would be moving a paragraph with D&D and then deciding that other content should subsequently be moved too as part of a single semantic "reorganize" operation.

Interesting abstraction.  My initial thought is we need not try to infer that multiple user actions are part of a larger conceptual action.  My next thought is that is really an implementation concern rather than a file format one.  That is, if an application had a way to surface such a concept to the user, it could then decide to use the syntactic features of the file format to accomplish that.  For the file format, it’s handy (to me) to think of the text:changed-region as equivalent to a single user action since this is likely the highest level action an application would track and is made up of numerous format-specific bits of markup – even though an implementation could certainly consider that to be some other larger single-concept action that envelops multiple user actions.

That same line of thinking applies for my thoughts on your comments here – I see these as separate user actions:

For example, I might move a paragraph and then decide to move a non-contiguous one but would really like to emphasise that these moves are very strongly related. And what if I fixed a spelling mistake after the first move but before the second?

> IMHO it would be rare to expect the user to control-select many non contiguous blocks and decide to move them at once.

I agree it’s lower down the priority list of user actions.  But I wanted to demonstrate that this more complex case was also possible since it implicitly defines how to handle a move of a single paragraph.

Does that help?

John