Subject: Re: [office-collab] Multiple changes

Hi Patrick,

On 19.09.2012 02:39, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Sorry 'bout missing a post for yesterday on change tracking!
>
> In the ECT proposal, there was a separate treatment of multiple
> changes to the same content.
>
> I don't have the answer but let me sketch the bramble I find myself in:
>
> First, if there are multiple changes to a particular piece of text, is
> there a presumption of fixing of state?
In MCT there has no state to be fixed. A stack of operations will be
applied sequentially to the document, every operation is working on the
document state provided by the previous operation.

> That is if I take text from just plain text to *bold text*, save the
> text and then later come back to that *bold text* and underline the
> "text" portion of it, there are clearly two change operations to be
> tracked.
Correct.

> If I don't save the text, but simply change it to bold and before
> saving, also underline the "text" part, is that to be two change
> operations or only one?

Certainly changes will be tracked continuously and saving just does the
serialization.
> That is at what time does the state of the text become "fixed" so that
> change tracking is engaged again?
With "fixed" you might as well think about a compression/condensation of
operations. For example, if someone inserts a word and deletes it again,
it will not occur in the CT, although there had been two operations.
Similar if you add a single character at a time, there can be an
operation for each character, but the application might as well
compress/condense it to a single operation. As long both operations have
the same info set.

> I know I have inserted text and then changed the inserted text, with
> nary a trace of the original inserted text.
>
> I suspect there is some common rule that implementers apply but I have
> no idea what it would be.
>
> Suggestions?

Does the above answer your question?

The given scenario seems to be a variation from the earlier given scenario:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-collab/201206/msg00000.html

Solutions:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-collab/201206/msg00007.html
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-collab/201207/msg00000.html