Subject: Shortest path analogy?

Greetings!

I was thinking about change tracking while working in Carol's garden
this morning. ;-)

Is there a similarity to the shortest path problem in graphs?

That is for some change X, the first question I have to answer is:

Is that a valid path expression for the state of the document as I
know it?

If not, then I have to go backwards through changes until I find a
point where the path expression is valid.

Thinking of Oliver's case where someone deletes the "third" paragraph
while I have made a change to what I know as the "fourth" paragraph.
The deletion (assuming only 4 paragraphs) throws off my path
expression to the 4th paragraph.

But I should already know the other changes, in order. Yes?

All of which is to say I think we need some simplifying assumptions
about change tracking for collaboration:

For collaboration change tracking (asynchronous change tracking), the
collaboration attribute (new attribute) is set to true.

The state of the document attribute (new attribute) has a hash value
for the document that represents its state at the time the
collaboration attribute has been set to true.

Once set to true, the collaboration attribute cannot be changed to
false. That is all changes we track are tracked from that point.

Non-collaboration change tracking is also tracked by operations but
can be turned on and off.

It puts a greater burden on collaboration change tracking applications
but then they are asking for a greater feature and should bear the
cost of using it.

Non-collaboration change tracking uses the same operations mechanism
but isn't troubled by coordination with others.

Does that help?

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Patrick
- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau