Subject: Re: [office-collab] Discussion from last call..

Hi,

see my comments below

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann

--
Advisory Software Engineer
IBM Deutschland
Beim Strohhause 17
20097 Hamburg
Phone: +49-40-6389-1415
E-Mail: orwitt@de.ibm.com
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294

From:        Svante Schubert <svante.schubert@gmail.com>
To:        "office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org" <office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org>,
Date:        26.02.2014 14:05
Subject:        [office-collab] Discussion from last call..
Sent by:        <office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org>

> Hi everyone,
>
> first allow me to remind you on our SC call today and second there is
> unfinished business open from our last call:
>
> [16:48] Svante Schubert: Oliver: Example: Document with 4 paragraphs,
> 2nd and 3rd in a list [16:49] Svante Schubert: Oliver: Inserting a
> 4th is a new paragraph, is it within the list or not? [16:49] Svante
> Schubert: We have to define it..
>
> First some comment from the bird perspective: We have to be sure to
> distinguished the application behavior of the ODF application in its
> GUI presented the user, which we do not specify and the operations
> being recorded to describe the changes, which are important to us.

Yes, from my point of view it does not make sense to define the change tracking operations on a certain behavior of a certain ODF application.
We, as representatives of the one or the other ODF application have to be assure that the user actions in the ODF application can be expressed by one or more change tracking operation.
That is also the reason why I proposed the feature to group certain change tracking operations in order to represent the fact that _one_ user action is represented by _x_ ODF change tracking operations.

> Let me give you a detailed example: First, I have prepared the
> initial test documents: I have started a text document once in MS
> Office 2013 (MSO15) and once in Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 (AOO401),
> both times I have insert first a paragraph with heading style and the
> text "ab"and a following paragraph with normal style and text "cd".
> Afterwards I did some different hard characters formatting on each
> paragraph.
>
> Second, I have made a cursor selection in the GUI from the middle of
> the first paragraph to the end of the second paragraph and pressed
> delete. In AOO401 there is only one heading paragraph remaining,
> while in MSO15 there are two paragraphs and it requires a second
> delete to get to the same state.

Minor remark:
I think that the second step that Svante performed in MSO15 is a 'merge' and not a delete.

> NOTE: I have uploaded a ZIP with the before/after test docs to our
> repository - see
> https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-collab/document.php?document_id=52328
>
>  On operation level it makes sense that AOO401 executes two
> operations in one user action to be compatible with a potential
> real-time collaboration with MSO15.

I think that depends on the types and the features of the change tracking operations which we will have when we have finished our work.
If we will have 'simple' change tracking operations we might end up with three operations of this singe user action in AOO. Namely, 'delete content in paragraph 1', 'delete content in paragraph 2', 'merge paragraph 1 with paragraph 2'
If we will have 'complex' change tracking operations we might only need one. Namely, 'delete content and components incl. merging from position 1 to position 2'

> The details of the merge we have
> discussed before on this list, see
> http://markmail.org/message/lc27t32nssfh2hz7 (and its thread)
>
> Now let me rephrase Oliver's initial question: What are the pro/con
> to sent a addParagraph operation with explicit properties (e.g. list
> level) versus inheriting properties implicitly from the previous
> paragraph? What impact would each solution have on OT (operational
> transformation)?

Some thoughts from my side - not complete.
con for inheriting props. from previous:
- If the add paragraph operation needs to reference a previous paragraph we need to define, what the previous paragraph is under _all_ use cases. E.g.: add the first paragraph in a table cell, text frame, shape, document; add a paragraph after a section, a table, ... For all these use cases we would need to specify what the previous paragraph is - quite hard I think.
pro for explicit props:
- All user actions which lead to an addition of a paragraph will be more or less represented by the same set of change tracking operations. No need to distinguish between e.g. adding a paragraph behind another paragraph and adding a paragraph behind a heading.

Best regards, Oliver.