Subject: Re: [office-comment] [formula] Equality operator

On Friday 30 March 2007 00:09, Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> On Sunday, 2007-03-25 20:42:20 +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> > openformula-20070322-wheeler, section 6.3.6
> >
> > The equality operator has a couple of unexpected (to me) test cases:
> > =ISNA(NA()=NA()) is required to be true.
> > I don't agree with the logic "If there's an error on either side, the
> > result is an error -- even if you're comparing the "same" error on both
> > sides.". That isn't intuitive, and makes for messy logic.
>
> Indeed, the description is correct, but the result value is not, it
> should be Error instead. The NA() function generates an error and the
> error is propagated through the expression, which is the usual behavior.
That means that ISNA() can never return true - it can only ever be false (the
argument was not an NA() error) or an Error (if the argument is an error).
I'm not sure that makes sense. This is an intentional error check function.

> > =“Hi”=”HI” is required to be true.
> > There is a note about case sensitivity, and some explanation of OOo vs
> > other implementations. It seems silly to allow it to be true or false,
> > and to still have a test case.
>
> Actually, when seen in the OpenDocument context, case-sensitivity
> depends on the table:case-sensitive attribute, not just on some
> application setting. I'll modify the description to clarify on that.
OK, that will make more sense. Messy to unit test though....

Brad

PGP signature