Subject: Re: [office-comment] The first para of 4.3.4 of ODF 1.0

Makoto,

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:
> The first sentence of this para is quite unreadable.  Does
> it mean we sometimes want to use paragraphs for creating
> lists?

The sentence in question reads:

> In some instances, it is desirable to specify a list not as a
> structural element comprising of several list items, but to determine
> on a per-paragraph level whether the paragraph is numbered, and at
> which level.
No, it means that you can create a representation of a list by using the
<text:numbered-paragraph> element.

Note that creating a representation of a list does not include the
structural relationships inherent in a list.

A representation of a list, i.e., numbered paragraphs, is quite
different from a list structure, even though in some cases it is
possible to map from one representation to another. I haven't attempted
to map out all the permutations so I can't say such a mapping exists for
all cases.

I think something along the lines of:

"The |<text:numbered-paragraph>| element allows the numbering of an
individual paragraph, as if it was part of a list at a specified level."

captures the sense of what was meant.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--