Subject: Re: [office-comment] OpenFormula: Excel FLOOR Function

Hello Sheldon, hello everyone,

Sheldon Britton wrote:
> Hi Leonard,
>
> > "Actually, this concept contains a hidden flaw.
> > [...]
> >
> > I am planning to challenge a lot of the spreadsheet paradigms, as
> time will permit...."
>
> As one who has been previously intimately involved in the /*"manual
> methods"*/ of completing certain processes within the "development
> banking" industry

Yes, unfortunately I came across the manual methods myself. Though, it
was an eye opener for me. [I worked some time ago for a government doing
forecasting/planing, and overseeing and auditing spreadsheet users.]

Indeed, there is a bigger problem with spreadsheets overall, and many
get phased out. I still believe that - IF existing spreadsheets are
adapted to modern concepts, they still have a place in businesses.

A business survey published in 2007 [1] paints a grim picture on manual
operations and therefore on spreadsheets as well. I do also hope that
new concepts and various integration attempts are addressed on this
list, too, and hopefully sooner than later.

Many thanks for your interest in this subject.

Sincerely,

Leonard

[1] http://www.exidio.com/Files/Survey%20-%20Exidio%20and%20gtnews.pdf
[Google for "Survey Reveals High Levels of Inefficiency Within Internal
Treasury Operations" and click on the 'Cached'-link for the first result
(the actual link needs a subscription; amazing this new technology ;-) )
to get additional info on survey respondents, see bottom-note]
[There are a lot of other surveys painting a similar picture.]