Subject: Re: [office-comment] odf 1.1 dc:language value (unchanged as yet for 1.2)

"MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp> wrote on
07/03/2008 01:01:51 PM:

> I also dislike the word "similar" in standards.  Not identical?  What is
> the difference?  If the DIS for ODF 1.2 contains this word in usual
> paragraphs, I will make sure that Japan will complain about it.

Well, what would you recommend here?  This is a Dublin Core tag.  Dublin
Core (ISO 15836) does not require any specific encoding of the language.

All DC says of dc:language is:

"A language of the resource.

Comment:     Recommended best practice is to use a controlled vocabulary
such as RFC 4646 [RFC4646]."

So simply stating "German" or "Deutsch" or "Allemand" would be equally
conformant, as would "de".

I suggest we remove that useless mention of "similar".

If we wanted to match ISO 15836 exactly, we would widen the type to
xsd:string and our remove our stricter requirement altogether and simply
reference ISO 15836.    But I'm not convinced that this is an improvement.

-Rob